Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Peter H

Default Waterproof? Handheld GPS

suds wrote:

But to place the unit in a waterproof
bag will mean that it will again be handheld and far more difficult to use
in open water. Has anyone else worked through this situation? What is the
solution?

I have mounted on the dash of my 4x4 (I "dive" in the woods) a Radio
Shack gooseneck style cellphone holder that has adjustable jaws. I feel
a GPS in a freezer-weight Ziploc bag would be well-protected against all
but lengthy immersion. The bag would allow use of all buttons. Holder
affixes to base disc via rather strong suction cup; a lanyard could be
added for safety. This mount seems impervious to the vibrations of
backwoods travel and a strong sealable bag (with positive inflation as
insurance against water?) should make the GPS both useable & reasonably
proof against the tides.

Yours in the north Maine woods,
Pete Hilton aka The Ent

--
Old age is always 15 years older than I am.
B. M. Baruch