solomio

Default Need some "waterproof" 12 v power connectors

Need some "waterproof" 12 v power connectors for the new spreader
light wiring that I'm having to do. Any suggestions for inexpensive
and somewhat waterproof 2-conductor connectors for about 14 ga wire?

I've used trailer wire connectors previously and they're certailny
cheap and available -

Steve

I recommend you purchase some good marine connectors. Their a little more
expensive but certainly much more reliable for something that is "up the
mast"..

Get the kind that have a shrink sleeve over the outside. You just crimp them
on using a good crimping tool. Then you heat shrink the sleeve down onto the
finished connection.

The real good connectors have a adhesive inside that seals the job.

The moto here is "don't go on the cheap" with anything up the mast.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Greg

solomio,
I have found that some of the "automotive" inline connectors work as well as
the "marine" grade ones do. What sort of connnectors are you seeking? Ones
which can easily be disconnected occasionaly, or permanent connection? If
permanent, I suggest soldering the butt connectors, then heat shrink. I
have also used heat shrink on connectors which are only disconnected once or
twice a year. One other trick is to coat the connector with RTV, then slide
the heat shrink over it and apply the heat. The shrinking heatshrink pushes
out the excess RTV and makes a very water tight seal after it cures.
Good luck with it,
Greg Luckett

"solomio" wrote in message
Need some "waterproof" 12 v power connectors for the new spreader
light wiring that I'm having to do. Any suggestions for inexpensive
and somewhat waterproof 2-conductor connectors for about 14 ga wire?

I've used trailer wire connectors previously and they're certailny
cheap and available -

Rick

Greg wrote:

One other trick is to coat the connector with RTV, then slide
the heat shrink over it and apply the heat. The shrinking heatshrink pushes
out the excess RTV and makes a very water tight seal after it cures.
Good luck with it,

Any seal that relies on RTV will take more than luck. RTV will fail to
seal and water will wick into the connection and destroy it. It is as
predictable as sunrise.

There are many off the shelf connectors and sealing materials for that
application and nearly all of them are far superior to any of the
silicone adhesive sealants so often misused by the DIY'er.

Rick

Greg

Rick,
The phone companies and the Navy have used RTV for years to make sealed
connections on cables and it will not wick as badly as most off the shelf
connectors will, if done properely. These are for both aerial and
sub-surface applications. I have used it with Canon and Amphenol
multi-conductor cables as well.

As a guess, you have no direct experience using it? If so, tell about what
you actually did?
Greg.

"Rick" wrote in message
link.net...
Greg wrote:

One other trick is to coat the connector with RTV, then slide
the heat shrink over it and apply the heat. The shrinking heatshrink

pushes
out the excess RTV and makes a very water tight seal after it cures.
Good luck with it,

Any seal that relies on RTV will take more than luck. RTV will fail to
seal and water will wick into the connection and destroy it. It is as
predictable as sunrise.

There are many off the shelf connectors and sealing materials for that
application and nearly all of them are far superior to any of the
silicone adhesive sealants so often misused by the DIY'er.

Rick

Rick

Greg wrote:

As a guess, you have no direct experience using it? If so, tell about what
you actually did?

Guessed wrong. 8-)

Worked with building, maintaining, and operating manned deep
submersibles to 2000 meters, plus ROV operations and surface marine
industry for over 30 years with a break to go airline flying for a few
years between seagoing endeavors. Am still sailing in the merchant
marine and teach propulsion and sometimes electrical classes at a
maritime academy.

We made up many of our own cables for submersible work and repaired
those that we had commercially built. When I spliced a DC power cable
that supplied my life-support system a mile underwater I did not even
consider using a silicone sealant anywhere on the splice.

The only place we would use those sealants was to seal rubber gaskets in
on devices that were not subject to more than minor pressure differentials.

The RTV you are referring to may be the 2-part compound that is not
readily available to or commonly used by the DIY'er.

Common references to RTV are to the single component acetic acid and
moisture cured material found in home stores and recreational boat
shops. It will not bond to the wiring jacket and water will wick into
the splice. It will corrode the conductors. It may take a year or so
depending on how severe the exposure and how well the rest of the splice
was made but it will wick and the joint will corrode and fail.

Rick

Shore Power Parallax Cruising 5 October 15th 03 02:18 PM
help....power loss problems? Russell Hermansen General 3 September 24th 03 10:36 PM
*STILL* no power after Hurricane Isabel Butch Ammon General 2 September 23rd 03 08:35 AM