Joe

Default Cheating Or Not?

Last Wensday night we were heading out thru the lake to sail in the
bay.

The local race was happening in the lake and the course was a triangle
with one leg next to the channel we were in. Just as we hit this leg
the race did as well.

One guy that was smarter than the rest jumped on our 3 foot wake and
surfed along with us at 8 knts. He left everyone else far behind and
won the race.

Was it cheating? Or was he just a better sailor?

Wish I heard all the protest at the bar that sponsers that race.

What do you think?

Joe
MSV RedCloud

katysails

Was it cheating? Or was he just a better sailor?=20

Better sailor. He saw the advantage and took it. Winning is knowing =
what is to your advantage and what isn't. If it had been a natural wave =
that just happened to happen at that point, noone would think a thing =
about it.

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Joe

"Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote in message ...
Are you saying you blasted a race with a three foot wake?

Greetings Jeff,

Yes I did, I could not beleive they set up the course so close to the
channel.

They have the whole lake, and if anyone was to blame for my wake
upsetting the race it was the morons that set up the course. I did
slow down but once that guy jump on my wake I shoveled in the coal and
he had a blast. He waved and thanked me.

Joe
MSV RedCloud

I doubt the discussion was
whether it was cheating to surf it!

"Joe" wrote in message
om...
Last Wensday night we were heading out thru the lake to sail in the
bay.

The local race was happening in the lake and the course was a triangle
with one leg next to the channel we were in. Just as we hit this leg
the race did as well.

One guy that was smarter than the rest jumped on our 3 foot wake and
surfed along with us at 8 knts. He left everyone else far behind and
won the race.

Was it cheating? Or was he just a better sailor?

Wish I heard all the protest at the bar that sponsers that race.

What do you think?

Joe
MSV RedCloud

Capt. Mooron

I agree... what gives these racing bozos the right to assume they have
priority over cruising vessels because they have elected to plunk their
buoys where they deem fit. No race has priority over any other vessel using
the same waters. NONE! To hell with them!

I'll gladly head directly into an oncoming fleet of racers and refuse to
alter course just to suit their laylines. Courtesy is a two way street and
very little courtesy is shown by racing boats.... I feel no obligation to
assume burdened status because some weekend yahoos decide to test their
boats.

CM

"Joe" wrote in message
om...
| "Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote in message
| Are you saying you blasted a race with a three foot wake?
|
| Greetings Jeff,
|
| Yes I did, I could not beleive they set up the course so close to the
| channel.
|
| They have the whole lake, and if anyone was to blame for my wake
| upsetting the race it was the morons that set up the course. I did
| slow down but once that guy jump on my wake I shoveled in the coal and
| he had a blast. He waved and thanked me.
|
| Joe
| MSV RedCloud
|

| I doubt the discussion was
| whether it was cheating to surf it!
|

| "Joe" wrote in message
| om...
| Last Wensday night we were heading out thru the lake to sail in the
| bay.
|
| The local race was happening in the lake and the course was a triangle
| with one leg next to the channel we were in. Just as we hit this leg
| the race did as well.
|
| One guy that was smarter than the rest jumped on our 3 foot wake and
| surfed along with us at 8 knts. He left everyone else far behind and
| won the race.
|
| Was it cheating? Or was he just a better sailor?
|
| Wish I heard all the protest at the bar that sponsers that race.
|
| What do you think?
|
| Joe
| MSV RedCloud

Donal

The Captains Nemesis wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 20:04:26 -0300, "Capt. Mooron"
wrote:

I agree... what gives these racing bozos the right to assume they have
priority over cruising vessels because they have elected to plunk their
buoys where they deem fit. No race has priority over any other vessel

using
the same waters. NONE! To hell with them!

I'll gladly head directly into an oncoming fleet of racers and refuse to
alter course just to suit their laylines. Courtesy is a two way street

and
very little courtesy is shown by racing boats.... I feel no obligation to
assume burdened status because some weekend yahoos decide to test their
boats.

CM

Oh Goody, a troll!!

Still....Courtesy....Seems that when racing boats approach, courtesy
is that the non racing boats allow them free passage where possible.

Why?????

Racing boats obviously feel that "courtesy" demands that ordinary sailors
should give way.
I do both cruising AND racing. When cruising, I've noticed that racers
often don't offer their gratitude to a cruiser that doesn't give them
"enough" exemption from the Coll Regs.

After a few years of doing both cruising, and racing - I have become less
tolerant of the racers. They rarely show any gratitude when a cruiser
gives way ( a little wave of gratitude would cost NOTHING), and yet they
are very willing to show their displeasure when they are forced into a bit
of foul air in the lee of a cruiser.

Regards

Donal
--

Charging thru a race fleet screaming that you are not racing and
demanding your rights is the height of ignorance......Wait.....I

Actually, it is the Coll Regs! Boats on port tack should give way to boats
on starboard. If the racers were more willing to "wave" a thank you, then
they would find that their way was clear.

Regards

Donal
--
"A man should not mince his words to spare the sensibilities of the thin
skinned or the Simple minded.!

Jeff Morris

"Joe" wrote:
I did
slow down but once that guy jump on my wake I shoveled in the coal and
he had a blast. He waved and thanked me.

Since you put it that way, yes, it does sound like cheating!

katysails

I could not beleive they set up the course so close to the
channel.

On both Muskegon and White Lake up here they set up the courses across =
the channel on purpose to get the gain from the wind siphoning in or out =
of the channel...it's very deliberate....

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Pony Express

Not only is it the height of ignorance, in
Maryland, it is also negligent boating.
--
----
Steve

The Captains Nemesis wrote in message
:
: Oh Goody, a troll!!
:
: Still....Courtesy....Seems that when racing
boats approach, courtesy
: is that the non racing boats allow them free
passage where possible.
: Charging thru a race fleet screaming that you
are not racing and
: demanding your rights is the height of
ignorance......Wait.....I
: forgot to whom I was speaking.....carry on
Mooron, no sense in
: changing now eh?
:
:
: Oz1...of the 3 twins.
: Who spends an hour tuning before every race not
just when new sails go on
: I welcome you to crackerbox palace,We've been
expecting you.
:
: