felton

Default Is Celestial Nav Worth the Effort?

I am wrestling with myself as to whether to continue my USPS course
work and sign up for the JN course, which is the first of two courses
dealing with celestial navigation. I have completed all the electives
and through Advanced Piloting, so it is decision time. I have heard
that even the Naval Academy doesn't teach celestial navigating skills
any longer.

Is celestial anything more than an interesting exercise these days or
is it worth the effort to learn for any meaningful use? Ultimately it
comes down to time invested/benefit to learn, like anything else.

At the risk of sounding "lubberly", I just wonder if this is time well
spent these days.

Jeff Morris

Sure, they teach celestial - they just don't require it. There are other skills more
important.

Unless you are planning to do numerous long distance passages, celestial is useless. You
may enjoy learning it, it is an interesting intellectual exercise, but it has little to do
with coastal cruising. Twenty-five years ago I tried to do a sight every day; I haven't
brought a sextant onboard in 8 years.

-j

felton wrote:
I am wrestling with myself as to whether to continue my USPS course
work and sign up for the JN course, which is the first of two courses
dealing with celestial navigation. I have completed all the electives
and through Advanced Piloting, so it is decision time. I have heard
that even the Naval Academy doesn't teach celestial navigating skills
any longer.

Is celestial anything more than an interesting exercise these days or
is it worth the effort to learn for any meaningful use? Ultimately it
comes down to time invested/benefit to learn, like anything else.

At the risk of sounding "lubberly", I just wonder if this is time well
spent these days.

Jonathan Ganz

I think it's worth knowing, but I doubt you'll have much use for
it, except for fun. It's too easy to have multiple GPS backups.
The last extended trip I took, we had 5 handhelds and a fixed
mount GPS. We ended up arguing about the .xxx digits.

felton wrote in message ...
I am wrestling with myself as to whether to continue my USPS course
work and sign up for the JN course, which is the first of two courses
dealing with celestial navigation. I have completed all the electives
and through Advanced Piloting, so it is decision time. I have heard
that even the Naval Academy doesn't teach celestial navigating skills
any longer.

Is celestial anything more than an interesting exercise these days or
is it worth the effort to learn for any meaningful use? Ultimately it
comes down to time invested/benefit to learn, like anything else.

At the risk of sounding "lubberly", I just wonder if this is time well
spent these days.

DSK

Default Is Celestial Nav Worth the Effort... Yes *if*

felton wrote:

I am wrestling with myself as to whether to continue my USPS course
work and sign up for the JN course, which is the first of two courses
dealing with celestial navigation.

What are your sailing/cruising goals? If you are planning on doing any
extended cruising, then you should know as much about navigation as you
can learn (ditto about electricity, engines, etc etc). Knowledge is power!

I have completed all the electives
and through Advanced Piloting, so it is decision time. I have heard
that even the Naval Academy doesn't teach celestial navigating skills
any longer.

This is misleading. Graduating cadets are not expected to navigate ships,
but line officers are. The celestial nav courses were moved to an
appropriate curriculum for post grads, whereas cadets had three or four
other hard courses shoved in.

Is celestial anything more than an interesting exercise these days or
is it worth the effort to learn for any meaningful use?

If it keeps you from being lost at sea after your GPS is either fried,
dropped, or soaked, then clestial skills (even if it is only shooting sun
lines) will bring your butt into port alive.

Ultimately it
comes down to time invested/benefit to learn, like anything else.

At the risk of sounding "lubberly", I just wonder if this is time well
spent these days.

Personally, I count all knowledge as a net gain. YMMV.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Simple Simon

"DSK" wrote in message ...

Personally, I count all knowledge as a net gain. YMMV.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

That's the funniest statement I've read so far this year.
Bwaaahahahhahhahahahhahahahhahahaha!

It's so funny because it comes from one of the least
knowledgeable subscribers .asa has ever had the
misfortune to attract.

S.Simon

felton

On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 14:19:57 -0400, DSK wrote:

felton wrote:

I am wrestling with myself as to whether to continue my USPS course
work and sign up for the JN course, which is the first of two courses
dealing with celestial navigation.

What are your sailing/cruising goals? If you are planning on doing any
extended cruising, then you should know as much about navigation as you
can learn (ditto about electricity, engines, etc etc). Knowledge is power!

While I agree with your premise, I am really trying to determine if my
time would be better spent learning something more likely to have some
use to me. I tend to believe that celestial is so far down the list
of skills that *might* be useful, that perhaps my time would be better
invested in an amateur radio license, for example. There must be
other ways to improve myself in some way that may be useful, rather
than just interesting.

I have completed all the electives
and through Advanced Piloting, so it is decision time. I have heard
that even the Naval Academy doesn't teach celestial navigating skills
any longer.

This is misleading. Graduating cadets are not expected to navigate ships,
but line officers are. The celestial nav courses were moved to an
appropriate curriculum for post grads, whereas cadets had three or four
other hard courses shoved in.

Is celestial anything more than an interesting exercise these days or
is it worth the effort to learn for any meaningful use?

If it keeps you from being lost at sea after your GPS is either fried,
dropped, or soaked, then clestial skills (even if it is only shooting sun
lines) will bring your butt into port alive.

True enough, but it seems likely that I could counter those risks more
easily than learning celestial navigation, but I do concede that it
would be useful in those circumstances.

Ultimately it
comes down to time invested/benefit to learn, like anything else.

At the risk of sounding "lubberly", I just wonder if this is time well
spent these days.

Personally, I count all knowledge as a net gain. YMMV.

I do too, but I haven't signed up for piano lessons, either

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

felton

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 13:36:10 -0400, "Jeff Morris"
jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote:

Sure, they teach celestial - they just don't require it. There are other skills more
important.

Unless you are planning to do numerous long distance passages, celestial is useless. You
may enjoy learning it, it is an interesting intellectual exercise, but it has little to do
with coastal cruising. Twenty-five years ago I tried to do a sight every day; I haven't
brought a sextant onboard in 8 years.

-j

Thanks, Jeff. That is what I was thinking. The piloting and coastal
nav courses I have taken have been very useful, but I need to find
something else to work on to try to develop my seamanship. USPS has
been good, but I need to find something worthwhile if I am going to
put in the time and effort.

felton wrote:
I am wrestling with myself as to whether to continue my USPS course
work and sign up for the JN course, which is the first of two courses
dealing with celestial navigation. I have completed all the electives
and through Advanced Piloting, so it is decision time. I have heard
that even the Naval Academy doesn't teach celestial navigating skills
any longer.

Is celestial anything more than an interesting exercise these days or
is it worth the effort to learn for any meaningful use? Ultimately it
comes down to time invested/benefit to learn, like anything else.

At the risk of sounding "lubberly", I just wonder if this is time well
spent these days.

felton

I tend to agree, but you surprised me. I thought you might be more of
a Larry Pardee minimalist, Cappy

felton wrote in message ...
I am wrestling with myself as to whether to continue my USPS course
work and sign up for the JN course, which is the first of two courses
dealing with celestial navigation. I have completed all the electives
and through Advanced Piloting, so it is decision time. I have heard
that even the Naval Academy doesn't teach celestial navigating skills
any longer.

Is celestial anything more than an interesting exercise these days or
is it worth the effort to learn for any meaningful use? Ultimately it
comes down to time invested/benefit to learn, like anything else.

At the risk of sounding "lubberly", I just wonder if this is time well
spent these days.

otnmbrd

It depends on where you plan to cruise, and/or how much you want to know.
If during the majority of your cruising, you will stay within 1-2 days
of landfall, I wouldn't be too concerned about having the ability,
except as something you would care to know about.
However, if you will be making longer trips, out of sight of land, I
would consider it well worth the effort and ability.
You don't really need to know all the why's and wherefores of what you
are doing, but mainly the steps involved in going through the sight and
various tables, to come up with a solution (or basic inputs, for a
computer).
Although the Naval Academy does not make celestial a required course,
the Maritime Academies do, for those going for a deck license.
In reality, the choice is yours ..... you can carry a whole bunch of
spare batteries and handhelds, or a sextant, tables, and/or a calculator.
GPS advantage - turn it on and it works G
Celestial - needs practice to be good, and some never do become good.

otn