Dee Jay

Default Is this worth restoring?

Hey all,

I came by a boat as a trade for some computer work. It's a 14' '54 Glasspar
Marathon with a 70 horse Chysler o/b, the whole rig has been sitting in the
man's driveway for at least 10 years (he said 10, but the registration
sticker is from 85). I started overhauling the engine last year, rebuild
the carbs, etc. I still wasn't getting spark and this year I broke down and
it's in the shop because I have no time to work on it and I don't want to go
another season w/o getting her wet.

So while it's gone I've been cleaning up the hull and re-doing the interior.
The plexi-glass windshield is in rough shape and there are a couple of
small, superficial cracks in the fiberglass. It's got a home made wooden
bench seat I'm going to upholster for the first season, but I was
wondering - would this be worth restoring? I've looked on the internet at
some old photos and the boat is real nice looking, but I don't know if it
would be worth my time and effort to fully restore it or I if I should just
get it functioning and use it until it dies.

Thank you,
DJ

--
I rarely misspell things outright, but when I do it's usually something
interesting....Instead, I use homonyms. These are small, gay creatures with

http://thewrite.blogspot.com/
djstipe at msn dot com
sinforfreedom

MMC

Sounds like a classic, and it is worth restoring if it's worth it to you.
If the hull is fiberglass, I would be suspect of the year, from what I've
read fiberglass wasn't used in boat building until 1959.
"Dee Jay" wrote in message
[...]

Old Nick

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 13:37:03 GMT, "MMC" vaguely
proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

it is worth restoring if it's worth it to you.

no more.
************************************************** ** sorry

..........no I'm not!

Does Bill Gates dream of electronic sheep?
Dee Jay

MMC wrote:
Sounds like a classic, and it is worth restoring if it's worth it to
you. If the hull is fiberglass, I would be suspect of the year, from
what I've read fiberglass wasn't used in boat building until 1959.

That should have read '64.

http://home.fuse.net/henrymenke/

That's a year newer, but it's identical.

Old Nick

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 12:07:46 -0800, "Dee Jay" vaguely
proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

MMC wrote:
Sounds like a classic, and it is worth restoring if it's worth it to
you. If the hull is fiberglass, I would be suspect of the year, from
what I've read fiberglass wasn't used in boat building until 1959.

That should have read '64.

http://home.fuse.net/henrymenke/

Well it looks as if somebody loves one G

In the end the value of restoring it is entirely up to you, unless you
can establish a reasle market price for it.