Clif Godfrey

Default What is EFI worth? (looking for 18' Fish-N-Ski)

Hello,
I posted a question the other day and got some helpful advice. I
figure I'll try again. I am looking to purchase a first boat. I
think what I want is a Fisn-N-Ski and here are the ones I've found.

1995 Stratos 278 Fish & Ski - $8000.00
150 HP Johnson Fast Strike
http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/marine...gi?id=45638-ad
Have been cooresponding with Dealer, they want a weeks notice to take
a test run and Dont have a weekend opening until the weekend of the
8th.

1997 Stratos 282FS - $10,500.. maybe higher, maybe lower
150 HP Evinrude Intruder
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...photohos ting
Little leery about buying a boat off of e-bay. But, it looks to be
pretty nice. Anyone had any experience with a way to "Safely" buy a
boat from e-bay? I sent e-mail to the seller friday morn, but no
reply yet.

1998 Astro 1800FS - $12,500
150 HP Mercury with EFI
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/7/2/63006972.htm
Actually went to see this boat in person. It seems to be in really
good condition. Dealer said that they "Might" be able to pull the
number of hours the engine has been run from the computer in the
engine. Dealer has a very good reputation in the area. Only one who
would give me any sort of guaruntee (30-days). Do 3 years newer, and
a motor with EFI make 4500.00 worth of better?
I looked at NADAguides.com and it seems that the price is maybe a lil
high but not too much. The boat is pretty much immaculate.

Whichever boat I am looking to use it mostly on Lake Murray (50,000
acre) and maybe a little on Lake Marion/Moultrie (150,000 acre). All
Fresh Water. Mostly for fishing, with maybe one or two outings with
friends just to hang out on the lake for the day.

Any input appreciated

Thanks,
Clif Godfrey
Harry Krause

Clif Godfrey wrote:

[...]

Unless you are an experienced boater, I would avoid buying what you are
considering via ebay.

EFI is worth a little on a used rig. EFI outboards start a little
easier, burn a bit less gas (allegedly).
Tony Thomas

Tough choice. However, if you are an inexperienced boater and don't know
how to do a compression test, scope the cylinders for scaring, check the
gearcase oil, verify rpms are correct at WOT and overall verify that there
is nothing wrong, then I recommend you pass on the ebay boat. It looks like
a good deal but you never know.
There is a big difference in efi in terms of fuel economy and ease of use.
My guess is the 98 Astro is your best bet considering a warranty, local
service, etc...
I would do some serious negotiating. There are not a lot of people out
there looking for Fish & Ski boats. You have the drivers seat here.
According to NADA he is actually asking about right given the condition and
the motor. The price that comes up is w/ a 120 hp engine - not the 150 efi.
Negotiate to $11,500 (no more than $12,000) w/ tax and all w/ a new
waterpump, fresh gearcase oil, and a full oil reservoir. It should be a
very nice boat for years of enjoyment.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com