Harry Krause

Default The *best* knife for cutting fish into bait...

....I have ever used:

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=202950

This is an offset "bread knife" by Henckels, but there are other
manufacturers who put out a similar knife. The offset handle makes a big
difference when you are trying to slice off nice sized "steak" chunks of
bait from a bait fish, and the blade is very, very sharp and serrated.

Sometimes you can find these knives for about $20 new on eBay.

Oh...makes a great tool for steaking out kingfish mackeral. Much better
for that purpose than even a good fillet knife.

Best fillet knife: a Henckels Four Star boning knife, between 5-1-2 and
7-1/2 inches long. Sharp as a razor, flexible and easy to maintain.

Yeah, sometimes I fish to catch fish.

--
Email sent to is never read.

Calif Bill

The Kershaw with the spoon is good for cleaning salmon. For cutting up and
filleting fish also look at the Forschner line of knives. Also made by
Henkle. Difference is in the construction method, grinding and forging
part. Henkle also makes Victorinox (sp?). I do not like the serrated
blades as they do not take to a steel well. For filleting large fish, they
make a long knife with a sort of serrated blade. The serration's are about
1.5" apart. Wear a kevlar butcher glove when using these knives
Bill

"NOYB" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Harry Krause

NOYB wrote:
[...]

Be careful...one slip with that bread knife and you'll slice your hand
into finger rolls. I actually use the knife inside a plastic rectangular
tub about 24"x15" and I have a plastic cutting board on the botton of
the tub. Keeps the fish guts inside the tub and the knife from wandering
around the deck.

--
Email sent to
is never read.
basskisser

"NOYB" wrote in message .com...
Thanks for the recommendation. I use a Kershaw, but I haven't been very
impressed with it's ability to hold an edge. I'll look at the Henckels.

NOYB, I have a Kershaw fillet knife that is VERY flexible, (the reason
I bought it), but like you, it just doesn't hold that razor edge like
I thought it should, seeing how it's not a cheap knife. I took it to
my local knife dealer, had it re-ground, and it didn't help. Still
will not hold the honed edge well.

Harry Krause

basskisser wrote:

"NOYB" wrote in message .com...
Thanks for the recommendation. I use a Kershaw, but I haven't been very
impressed with it's ability to hold an edge. I'll look at the Henckels.

NOYB, I have a Kershaw fillet knife that is VERY flexible, (the reason
I bought it), but like you, it just doesn't hold that razor edge like
I thought it should, seeing how it's not a cheap knife. I took it to
my local knife dealer, had it re-ground, and it didn't help. Still
will not hold the honed edge well.

Are you guys sharpening your knives between uses? I take my knives off
the boat between uses, wash them and, in the case of the straight-blade
knives, sharpen them on my ceramic sharpening rods. My sharpener has a
wood base about a foot long and about three inches wide, and has two
ceramic rods about 11 inches long that plug into the base and meet at an
angle. I'll bet you've seen these devices. Anyway, a few minutes with
the sharpener and the blade is ready to go. It takes special tools to
sharpen serrated blades, so every so often I bag mine up and take them
to the mall, where there's a Chesapeake Knife Store. They know how to do
it. I got my ceramic sharpener from AG Russell:

http://www.agrussell.com/accessories...sharpener.html

In Jax, I used to have my knives sharpened by a guy in a step van who
handled the restaurant trade. I saw him behind a restaurant one day,
shapening and swapping out the kitchen's knives, and asked him to call
me when he was next going to be in our area. He did, I had him sharpen
about a dozen of our fishing and household knives. He was a real craftsman.

Happy cutting!

--
Email sent to is never read.
Keith

Dexter Russell is the choice of all the folks around here in the industry,
and I have to agree. Their fillet knife is so sharp it'll cut you if you
look at it wrong... be careful!

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
...I have ever used:

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=202950

This is an offset "bread knife" by Henckels, but there are other
manufacturers who put out a similar knife. The offset handle makes a big
difference when you are trying to slice off nice sized "steak" chunks of
bait from a bait fish, and the blade is very, very sharp and serrated.

Sometimes you can find these knives for about $20 new on eBay.

Oh...makes a great tool for steaking out kingfish mackeral. Much better
for that purpose than even a good fillet knife.

Best fillet knife: a Henckels Four Star boning knife, between 5-1-2 and
7-1/2 inches long. Sharp as a razor, flexible and easy to maintain.

Yeah, sometimes I fish to catch fish.

--
Email sent to is never read.

Harry Krause

Keith wrote:

[...]

Dexter-Russell is the big time supplier of knives to the commercial
fishing industry. Typically, they have the white poly handles. The
commercial knives are very good.
NOYB

I just got a Cutco filet knife for Christmas. It seems very sharp. If
Cutco's other knives are an indication how this one will hold up, then I
have high expectations for it.

Keith wrote:

[...]

The problem with these off-topic, political threads... Joe Parsons General 99 September 10th 03 04:42 AM
Fish Farming Bill Cole General 2 September 7th 03 05:43 PM
Rigging knife Doug Kanter General 7 August 19th 03 05:40 AM