Calif Bill

Default The *best* knife for cutting fish into bait...

The Kershaw with the spoon is good for cleaning salmon. For cutting up and
filleting fish also look at the Forschner line of knives. Also made by
Henkle. Difference is in the construction method, grinding and forging
part. Henkle also makes Victorinox (sp?). I do not like the serrated
blades as they do not take to a steel well. For filleting large fish, they
make a long knife with a sort of serrated blade. The serration's are about
1.5" apart. Wear a kevlar butcher glove when using these knives
Bill

"NOYB" wrote in message
. com...
Thanks for the recommendation. I use a Kershaw, but I haven't been very
impressed with it's ability to hold an edge. I'll look at the Henckels.

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
...I have ever used:

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=202950

This is an offset "bread knife" by Henckels, but there are other
manufacturers who put out a similar knife. The offset handle makes a big
difference when you are trying to slice off nice sized "steak" chunks of
bait from a bait fish, and the blade is very, very sharp and serrated.

Sometimes you can find these knives for about $20 new on eBay.

Oh...makes a great tool for steaking out kingfish mackeral. Much better
for that purpose than even a good fillet knife.

Best fillet knife: a Henckels Four Star boning knife, between 5-1-2 and
7-1/2 inches long. Sharp as a razor, flexible and easy to maintain.

Yeah, sometimes I fish to catch fish.

--
Email sent to is never read.