Bobsprit

Default Lesson for Donal

Donal seems to be confused about gales, windy weather and heavy air.
He deems 25-30 knots not challenging to sail in.
And yet...Richard Henderson "Sailing in Windy Weather" writes:

"This classification (Beaufort) equates force 5 with "delight" and force 6 as
"delight tinged with anxiety." Force 5 through 8 or 17-40 knots is where this
book will set it's sights and on challenging conditions accross the spectrum."

There are too many instances where this book points to the "challenge"
associated with sailing a boat in conditions above 20 knots. 25-30 knots is NOT
a relaxed sail. It takes focus and skill, more so if your boat is like Scotty's
or Neals. Lighter racing hulls will be hard to control at times, to say the
least! I've been out on a J35 in 25 knots....exciting! But not easy by a
longshot.
I say...."challenging."

Donal, you know about as much about sailing as you do about choosing a good
boat!

Bwahahahaha!

RB

Bobsprit

Bubbles, you're nuts BUT I do agree!

How dare you.

RB
Donal

The Cappys Master wrote in message
Bubbles, you're nuts BUT I do agree!
In fact sailing in any conditions from dead calm to storm should
always be a challenge.
It's the essence of sailing.

We know that!

However Bobby wrote:-
"Winds were challenging
to say the least, blowing 20-25 and gusting well above 30 to perhaps 35. "

He wasn't talking about the challenge of getting the best performance out of
his old tub. He was scared of the windy conditions!!!

Would you find that 20-25kts of wind would present a "challenge" to your
sailing skills?

Regards

Donal

Donal

The Cappys Master wrote in message
Yep, considering that a forecast of 20-25 means possible gusts of up
to 35.
25 is a challenge with no reefing points, gusts of 35 very
challenging.

Uh oh!

If you know that the forecast is for 20-25 kt winds, then why don't you put
a reef in?

35 kts sustained would be challenging for beginners like Bob, or me.
However, 20-25 kts is just damn good sailing.

As it happens, we didn't put in a reef until the wind had stayed above 32
kts (apparent) for over 5 minutes.

Bob, why don't you tell us how you put a reef in under such circumstances???

Regards

Donal

Bobsprit

Yep, considering that a forecast of 20-25 means possible gusts of up
to 35.
25 is a challenge with no reefing points, gusts of 35 very
challenging.

Could you cut it out. Take my side and then what do I have left?
Donal the chuckle head was making a toad of himself trying to insist that
strong gusts of 30-35 knots isn't a challenging. Maybe he's sailing a trawler
like Doug! Watch out for the crosswind!

Bwahahahaha!

RB
Bobsprit

If you know that the forecast is for 20-25 kt winds, then why don't you put
a reef in?

More boat ignorance from the guy who thinks Beneteau is an upscale boat!
The C&C 32 has a very small main. I've reefed it twice in lighter conditions.
On this particular day I opted to go full and see how she'd do on main alone.
It worked fine and we had hull speed. Later we were able to find some lulls and
fly the jib, furled down. It was a fun, if somewhat wet, sail.

RB
Jonathan Ganz

I think he's already qualified to be a gay turd.

"Donal" wrote in message

"Gary L. Burnore" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 10:18:17 -0700, "Jonathan Ganz"
wrote:

It's wind and waves. Not just wind speed.

Gee, Do ya THINK?

Oh dear.

Don't laugh at him, folks. He can easily pass the qualifying test to
become a "Gary".

Step2, Gary.

Regards

Donal

Jonathan Ganz

Forget it Donal. Gay turds can't speaka da Enish.

"Donal" wrote in message

"Gary L. Burnore" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 22:42:43 +0100, "Donal"
wrote:
He can easily pass the qualifying test to become a "Gary".

Step2, Gary.

Speak Engligh, Donal.

It would really help if you understood English, Gary. Perhaps you should
read my earlier response to Tadpole again. Try to understand it this

time.
It wasn't written in any particular code.

Regards

Donal

Jonathan Ganz

Thank god he can't read *my* posts.

"Donal" wrote in message

"Gary L. Burnore" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 23:00:27 +0100, "Donal"
wrote:
It would really help if you understood English, Gary. Perhaps you

should
read my earlier response to Tadpole again. Try to understand it this

time.
It wasn't written in any particular code.

I wouldn't read it if it was top posted.

You think that I top post????

Once again you prove the point that I made to Tadpole. Unfortunately,

you
really are too stupid to understand what I was saying.

BTW - I've really taken the **** out of a few people over the years.

You have the biggest bladder that I've ever come across.
Don't understand?? Read it again! If you still don't understand, then

ask
a neighbour to read it for you.

Regards

Donal

The Lesson Bush & Cheney Really Learned Jack Goff General 7 July 12th 04 12:10 PM
Electric heater circuit. Lesson Learned! Steve Electronics 2 April 23rd 04 06:54 PM
O.T. Interesting History Lesson RGrew176 General 2 March 2nd 04 07:18 AM
Lesson for Steve CANDChelp ASA 0 July 19th 03 04:19 PM
A lesson for Billy! CANDChelp ASA 3 July 19th 03 02:40 AM