Jeff Morris

Default By the way, Donal

Of course I know that. And I've sailed several times in winds gusting to 50+ on the
Charles River (that's where the intro to Cheers was filmed) but I've never claimed it was
F10. F7 winds in protected waters is fun, and even challenging, but its not the same as
F7 conditions on the English Channel.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Since you're claim F8, does that mean you had waveheights of 18-25 feet?

F8 won't produce waves of that height on the sound.
But you knew that, Jeff.

RB

Bobsprit

F7 winds in protected waters is fun, and even challenging, but its not the
same as
F7 conditions on the English Channel.

I never claimed otherwise.

RB
Scott Vernon

"Bobsprit" wrote

It dissapoints me. Much like when I hear an old lady getting scammed.

and you're not in on it?

Jonathan Ganz

I think you're both wrong:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/lot/webpage/beaufort/

"Donal" wrote in message

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Force 9 conditions is more properly called a gale or strong gale.

Sorry, F9 would only be caled a "Strong gale". It wouldn't be called a
"Gale".

Most
"sailors" consider anything about force 6 to be somewhat challenging.

F6 = 22-27 kts.
This is uncomfortable on an upwind course for many boats - yours included.
However, on a beam reach an F6 should produce some damn good sailing.

This past
sunday we sailed in Force 7 and maybe Force 8 for a bit.

Now, now, now! Don't exaggerate! You *possibly* sailed in an F 7. The
occassional gust to 35kts doesn't make it an F8. I would call the
conditions that you described as "F5, occ F6, gusting F7".

More than you could handle. But I suppose you call anything above force

5
heavy
air right up to force 12!!

Depends on your course relative to the wind. If you have to do 100 miles
into an F5, then things can be uncomfortable. On a beam reach, the same
trip would be exhilarating. Please let us know your opinion after you

have
done such a trip?

But I'm sure you can quickly conjure up a story of how you were in this

storm
or that! And some folks here will believe you

Pah! I don't care if you believe me, or not.

You don't either, do you?

Regards

Donal

Jonathan Ganz

Also, it's not just about wind speed. In protected waters, the
scale doesn't apply as directly as it does offshore. It's also
about wave heights and behavior.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Force 9 conditions is more properly called a gale or strong gale. Most
"sailors" consider anything about force 6 to be somewhat challenging. This

past
sunday we sailed in Force 7 and maybe Force 8 for a bit.
More than you could handle. But I suppose you call anything above force 5

heavy
air right up to force 12!!

But I'm sure you can quickly conjure up a story of how you were in this

storm
or that! And some folks here will believe you!

Bwahahahha!

Jonathan Ganz

Not in the SF bayarea. That would be considered a normal
day on the bay. Over 35 would be considered challenging.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Most
"sailors" consider anything about force 6 to be somewhat challenging.

F6 = 22-27 kts.
This is uncomfortable on an upwind course for many boats - yours included.
However, on a beam reach an F6 should produce some damn good sailing.

In other words, you agree that force 6 is considered challenging for many
boats.
That's what I thought.
You're coming along nicely!

RB

Donal

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Sorry, F9 would only be caled a "Strong gale". It wouldn't be called a
"Gale".

Wrong. A gale is a gale is a gale.
It's English, man. Learn it.

Idiot! Perhaps you should attend some classes before you attempt any long
distance (15nM) sailing.

Regards

Donaal

Donal

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Most
"sailors" consider anything about force 6 to be somewhat challenging.

F6 = 22-27 kts.
This is uncomfortable on an upwind course for many boats - yours included.
However, on a beam reach an F6 should produce some damn good sailing.

In other words, you agree that force 6 is considered challenging for many
boats.

So, do you now agree that an F6 is no more than a bit of good sailing?
Will you continue to describe such weather as a "storm"?

Regards

Donal

Donal

Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
I think you're both wrong:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/lot/webpage/beaufort/

THey seem to have copied their data from this page:-
http://www.met-office.gov.uk/educati.../beaufort.html which is
about the history of the beaufort scale.

The current beaufort scale is available at the same site.
http://www.met-office.gov.uk/educati.../beaufort.html

As you can see, I was correct and Bobsprit was incorrect - as always!!

Here are a couple of others, in case you still doubt me.
http://www.r-p-r.co.uk/beaufort.htm

http://www.zetnet.co.uk/sigs/weather...s/beaufort.htm

Regards

Donal

Hey Donal Scott Vernon ASA 147 November 6th 03 11:20 PM
Donal Screws the Pooch CANDChelp ASA 1 July 31st 03 05:09 AM
I'm Letting Donal off the Hook CANDChelp ASA 40 July 30th 03 12:05 PM
Donal Hates Your Boat The_navigator© ASA 37 July 20th 03 11:26 PM