Jonathan Ganz

Default By the way, Donal

I think you're both wrong:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/lot/webpage/beaufort/

"Donal" wrote in message

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Force 9 conditions is more properly called a gale or strong gale.

Sorry, F9 would only be caled a "Strong gale". It wouldn't be called a
"Gale".

Most
"sailors" consider anything about force 6 to be somewhat challenging.

F6 = 22-27 kts.
This is uncomfortable on an upwind course for many boats - yours included.
However, on a beam reach an F6 should produce some damn good sailing.

This past
sunday we sailed in Force 7 and maybe Force 8 for a bit.

Now, now, now! Don't exaggerate! You *possibly* sailed in an F 7. The
occassional gust to 35kts doesn't make it an F8. I would call the
conditions that you described as "F5, occ F6, gusting F7".

More than you could handle. But I suppose you call anything above force

5
heavy
air right up to force 12!!

Depends on your course relative to the wind. If you have to do 100 miles
into an F5, then things can be uncomfortable. On a beam reach, the same
trip would be exhilarating. Please let us know your opinion after you

have
done such a trip?

But I'm sure you can quickly conjure up a story of how you were in this

storm
or that! And some folks here will believe you

Pah! I don't care if you believe me, or not.

You don't either, do you?

Regards

Donal