BoatBanter.com

-   -   The best NG in the world! (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/16635-best-ng-world.html)

Tim Fatchen August 1st 03 04:53 AM

The best NG in the world! --- for what it's worth

No, they think they're sharp!

The navigator© wrote:

Don't they approve of hard labour?

Cheers MC

Flying Tadpole wrote:
The clients are starting to threaten caesareans.

The navigator© wrote:

That's the trouble with confinement.

Cheers MC

Flying Tadpole wrote:

The fruits of my labours.

The navigator© wrote:

Ah well -aren't your problems trifling?

Cheers MC

Flying Tadpole wrote:

The navigator© wrote:

It must be hard in the outback!

Worse than just outback, it's been just deserts lately.

--
(Dr) Tim Fatchen
Director

This email and any attached files are a private communication. If
you
have received this in error, please notify
and
flush it from your system without making a copy. Please note
that if
you are not the intended recipient, you should not peruse, use,
distribute, copy or disclose any information within this message
or any
attached files. Doing so is an offence.

The_navigator© August 1st 03 04:54 AM

The best NG in the world! --- for what it's worth

That's acute or grave -depending on their point of view -of course.

Cheers MC

Tim Fatchen wrote:
No, they think they're sharp!

The navigator© wrote:

That's the trouble with confinement.

Cheers MC

Flying Tadpole wrote:

The fruits of my labours.

Gerard Weatherby August 1st 03 03:38 PM

The best NG in the world!

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 06:37:17 -0400, wrote:

Not being a "physic=y" person, but having this knowledge in layman's terms, lower tones carry farther over water and also the
human ear can pick up the lower tones farther away than it can higher tonew...it would also be very unpleasant to have higher
tomes...all the dogs on the shore would howl and everyone would go nuts after awhile...

Lower tones are also less directionally focused.

Not really. The ability to determine the source of the sound is determined by
the receiver, not the transmitter. Our ears are too close together to get a
bearing on low frequency sound.

S/V Cat's Meow
http://www.catsmeow.org

Gerard Weatherby August 1st 03 06:05 PM

The best NG in the world!

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 11:09:25 -0400, wrote:

Not really. The ability to determine the source of the sound is determined by
the receiver, not the transmitter. Our ears are too close together to get a
bearing on low frequency sound.

That would make it patently less directional. 8^)

If you assume human ears are the only way to receive sound

S/V Cat's Meow
http://www.catsmeow.org

Jeff Morris August 1st 03 08:18 PM

The best NG in the world!

The frequency of whistles is specified in the US inland version of the ColRegs Annex III:

It describes the fundamental frequency, and range. In summary:

over 200 meters 70-200Hz 2 miles
75-200 130-350 Hz 1.5 miles
20-75 250-525 Hz 1.0 miles
under 20 250-525 Hz 0.5 miles

It also describes the volume of various overtone ranges. For the large ships this is
140-145 dB. For the smallest is 111-120 dB.

wrote in message
On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 13:05:34 -0400, Gerard Weatherby
wrote:

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 11:09:25 -0400, wrote:

Not really. The ability to determine the source of the sound is determined by
the receiver, not the transmitter. Our ears are too close together to get a
bearing on low frequency sound.

That would make it patently less directional. 8^)

If you assume human ears are the only way to receive sound

The context is foghorns, which are usually there expressly so that
humans can hear them.

BB

Jonathan Ganz August 1st 03 08:38 PM

The best NG in the world!

Fog yes.

"DSK" wrote in message

Gerard Weatherby wrote:
Not really. The ability to determine the source of the sound is

determined by
the receiver, not the transmitter. Our ears are too close together

to get a
bearing on low frequency sound.

Does that tell us something about the shape of your head?

wrote:
The context is foghorns, which are usually there expressly so that
humans can hear them.

If a horn blows in the fog, and there is nobody there to hear it, does it

make a
sound?

DSK

Gerard Weatherby August 1st 03 08:51 PM

The best NG in the world!

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 13:29:18 -0400, wrote:

Not really. The ability to determine the source of the sound is determined by
the receiver, not the transmitter. Our ears are too close together to get a
bearing on low frequency sound.

That would make it patently less directional. 8^)

If you assume human ears are the only way to receive sound

The context is foghorns, which are usually there expressly so that
humans can hear them.

So why would being less directional be an advantage for foghorns? Wouldn't it
be better if you could tell exactly which bearing the sound came from?

S/V Cat's Meow
http://www.catsmeow.org

katysails August 1st 03 11:41 PM

The best NG in the world!

If a horn blows in the fog, and there is nobody there to hear it, does it make a
sound?

Yes.
--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

katysails August 1st 03 11:43 PM

The best NG in the world!

and the higher pitched noises might have other unwanted side effects.

That's what I said in my non-physic-y way....

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

katysails August 1st 03 11:50 PM