BoatBanter.com

-   -   The best NG in the world! (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/16635-best-ng-world.html)

Flying Tadpole August 3rd 03 12:46 PM

The best NG in the world!

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

"Scott Vernon" wrote in
:

the foghorn *still* made it's sound, even if you weren't there to hear
it.

Actually, current thinking is that not only did teh foghorn not make a
sound, the foghorn itself doesn't even exist in any way until someone
hears, sees, feels or otherwise senses it. It only has the potential to
exist.

Bertie

Aha! Schrodinger's bunyip! and wearing the trousers of time, too.
--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Learn what lies below the waves of cyberspace!
http://www.internetopera.netfirms.com

Thom Stewart August 3rd 03 04:09 PM

The best NG in the world!

Scott,

Let's remember the power output required to produce the sound. You'll
pay the bill, sound or not.

Ole Thom

jlrogers August 3rd 03 09:23 PM

The best NG in the world!

You never could pass up a nit.

"How many nit pickers could a nitpicker pick, if a nitpicker could pick
nits."

"Gerard Weatherby" wrote in message
On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 17:16:31 GMT, "jlrogers" wrote:

Definition of "sound," noun
1 a : a particular auditory impression : TONE b : the sensation
perceived by the sense of hearing

c : mechanical radiant energy that is transmitted by longitudinal

pressure
waves in a material medium (as air) and is the objective cause of

hearing

S/V Cat's Meow
http://www.catsmeow.org

katysails August 3rd 03 10:31 PM

Foghorns: The Straight Skinny

Foghorns: The Straight Skinny

Nice website, Jerry....

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

Donal August 3rd 03 10:55 PM

The best NG in the world!

"anonyme" wrote in message
On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 22:48:56 +0100, "Donal"
posted in message from
alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk:

Somebody altered Bertie's quote! Call the net police -- IMMEDIATELY.

No, no. It's just that altering quotes is soo...cowardly, I guess. It
shows you can't deal with what someone really wrote.

Not here, it doesn't!

You're quite old fashioned, aren't you?

Regards

Donal

The_navigator© August 3rd 03 10:57 PM

The best NG in the world!

Now that's profound and original. Congratulations Doug.

Cheers MC

DSK wrote:

Gerard Weatherby wrote:
Not really. The ability to determine the source of the sound is determined by
the receiver, not the transmitter. Our ears are too close together to get a
bearing on low frequency sound.

Does that tell us something about the shape of your head?

wrote:
That would make it patently less directional. 8^)

Gerard Weatherby wrote:
If you assume human ears are the only way to receive sound

wrote:
The context is foghorns, which are usually there expressly so that
humans can hear them.

If a horn blows in the fog, and there is nobody there to hear it, does it make a
sound?

DSK

The_navigator© August 3rd 03 10:59 PM

The best NG in the world!

Is that supposed to be funny to those who have been in serious
motorcycle accidents and lost limbs or don't I have a leg to stand on?

Cheers MC

Scout wrote:
After my motorcycle accident, I was casted and bandaged from head to toe.
Only my left eye was uncovered. I asked the doc how I was doing, and he
said, "I don't like the looks of that eye."
Scout

"katysails" wrote

In one eye and caan't see outta da other

The_navigator© August 3rd 03 11:00 PM

The best NG in the world!

Well I never knew that! hahahahhahahaha Where's the great maroon when
you need him?

Cheers MC

Tom S. wrote:
"Nobody" wrote in message
.. .

"katysails" wrote in
:

If a horn blows in the fog, and there is nobody there to hear it, does
it make a sound?

Yes.

No

Correct. "Sound" is what translates in our ears; shock waves are what the
horn makes.

The_navigator© August 3rd 03 11:02 PM

The best NG in the world!

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Bwhahahahahahhahahahahahhahaha

Cheers MC

anonyme wrote:
On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 22:48:56 +0100, "Donal"
posted in message from
alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message

"Scott Vernon" wrote in news:bgf8s1$nrgo1$1@ID-
154502.news.uni-berlin.de:

feeding time?

Oh God, altered quotes.

Shock!!! HORRER!

Bertie the Bunyip August 3rd 03 11:13 PM

The best NG in the world!

"Donal" wrote in
:

"anonyme" wrote in message
On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 22:48:56 +0100, "Donal"
posted in message from
alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk:

Somebody altered Bertie's quote! Call the net police -- IMMEDIATELY.

No, no. It's just that altering quotes is soo...cowardly, I guess. It
shows you can't deal with what someone really wrote.

Not here, it doesn't!

Of course not.

You're quite old fashioned, aren't you?

Mm, good one