katysails

Default Who'll Bet on Bob?

-- Pay is high and benefits are great. She's loving it
and she's doing the dirty work!
I consider starting salary of 70+ to be pretty reasonable for a person straight
out of nursing school.

Support that claim. Associate degree RN's generally start at 20/hr...if they're lucky...a four year degreed nurse will start
slightly higher. Private hospitals generally pay the going rate in the area. Also, while it's nice to have "A's", that is not
an indicator of nursing ability. A nurse can be book smart but really poor on the floor. Common sense and practical;ity are
what I look for when I hire nurse's, not book smarts. Nurse practitioner's, with a MS in their particular field, command the
salaries you speak of and are able to prescribe some drugs and treatments much like a PA does.
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Capt. Mooron

The Soul of a Warrior.... complexity, in balance with simplicity...
compassion counter balanced by indifference... function and form in
equilibrium.... the senses of a predator and the heart of generosity.

The Credo of the Wolf

Teach the Young
Respect the Elders
Cooperate with the Pack

Play when you can
Hunt when you must
Rest in between

Voice your feelings
Share your affections
Leave your mark

CM

"Flying Tadpole" wrote in message
| There you go again. First the bird-rescue photo, now this....

katysails

It's an important job these days and it's sad that anyone thinks caring for the
elderly is thankless.

It is an important job, and there are certainly some times of joy mixed in with the sorrow, but until you've been there for a
long time you have no idea of the thanklessness of the job. The burnout ratio attests to that fact. It is usually better to
start out on a new enterprise with eyes wide open. Naivete and Pollyanism will only set yopu up for heartbreak and despair
later on when the reality sets in.

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

Capt. Mooron

Well Bob... up here in Canada they make starting at $35K to a max of about
$50K a year. Less than an Engineering Technician. Heck... I make 10K a month
when I'm working and I don't even have a high school diploma.

CM

"CANDChelp" wrote in message
| If I thought that, I'd stop recruiting nurses and go be one....but then
I'd
| have to work weekends...been there...no way....
|
| Katy, what do nurses make in your area? Pay ranges from upper 40's to low
six
| figures here. I've been told Nurses make much less in most other states.
The
| shortage is critical here.
|
| RB

katysails

Good for you!
The attitude that Billy, Katy and others share is a selfish one.

Selfish? I spend 50-55 hours a week in a skilled nursing facility. We are also the primary care givers of my mother-in-law,
who suffers from dementia. Even during our vacation, we drove in several times so that Mom would not become nervous over our
absence. Go troll this somewhere else, Bob. I AM there, and I DO know what the reality is and I am not a pie-in-the-sky can't
face reality type.
--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

katysails

There you go again. First the bird-rescue photo, now this....

It's good that he redeems himself every now and again...

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

katysails

If you consider working 3 days a week for $90K hard work, more power to ya

Try holding a 400 lb patient over in bed while he vomits his guts out on you...you haven't a clue....
--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

SkitchNYC

Good for you!
The attitude that Billy, Katy and others share is a selfish one.

Selfish? I spend 50-55 hours a week in a skilled nursing facility. We are
also the primary care givers of my mother-in-law,
who suffers from dementia. Even during our vacation, we drove in several
times so that Mom would not become nervous over our
absence. Go troll this somewhere else, Bob. I AM there, and I DO know what
the reality is and I am not a pie-in-the-sky can't
face reality type.

Just more hypocrisy from the guy who hopes to cash in on his wife's slaving
over the elderly.
SkitchNYC

We have enough resources to afford her schooling and new
career. In fact, neither of us need to work for a while.

There you have it folks.
Pony Express

She can handle it, she's used to it.
--