mraycraft

Default ABS Royalex Royalite durability question (age)

Fellow paddlers;
I have the opportunity to acquire a 10-year old Swift canoe made of
Royalite. Apparently, it has been kept in a Canadian garage when not
in use.
Assuming that the boat is otherwise structurally sound, I am not sure
what to expect in terms of durability of the material it is built
with. Does Royalex/Royalite deteriorate noticeably over time? Put
another way, would a 10-year old boat have lost anything solely due to
age?
Thanks in advance for any thoughts or experiences you can offer here.
Keep on paddlin',
Michael
GaryJ

My Old Town Tripper is 15+ years old, and I know others that are about the same.
No problem with ABS if it is stored out of the sun.

Of course, you specify a Canadian garage, and that may be constructed to block
snow but not sun, although mine does both!

GaryJ

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 09:38:21 GMT, GaryJ wrote:

My Old Town Tripper is 15+ years old, and I know others that are about the same.
No problem with ABS if it is stored out of the sun.

Mine was old when I bought it in 1988. I even stored it in the sun.
It has been reconditioned by the people I gave it to in 1999 (though
it was still carrying me on many weekends per year. I had a newer and
prettier boat). I do advise keeping it out of the sun, but Old Towns
are really durable. If I'd had a clue, I'd have popped a tarp over it
on a frame, but by the time I knew about sun, it'd gone so many years
so well that I just let it be.

--
rbc: vixen Fairly harmless

Hit reply to email. But strip out the 'invalid.'
Though I'm very slow to respond.
http://www.visi.com/~cyli

ABS Royalex Royalite durability question (age) mraycraft Touring 8 July 9th 04 05:34 AM
Royalex Alan General 15 May 13th 04 12:00 AM
Mercury Mark 58,piston question Clams Canino General 1 May 2nd 04 08:58 PM
Another strip-plank question - a bit long Pete Boat Building 3 January 12th 04 08:03 PM
Winterizing question plus. rock_doctor General 3 October 19th 03 02:24 AM