posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
Dom Murphy

Default What way to edge.

Peter Clinch wrote:

"That's a bit too, errr, /wrong/ for my liking. While it's true for
a carved turn, if I try and break into a strong tidal flow in a 5m
sea kayak using that advice then I'll get very, very wet and very,
very fast"

Since when have breaking in and turning been synonymous? Let's be
pedantic then. If you are in a marathon or sprint boat and you are on
placid water, you can make your turn a great deal easier by edging away
from the direction in which you wish to turn. Better?

posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
Peter Clinch

Dom Murphy wrote:

Since when have breaking in and turning been synonymous?

At the expense of stating the Blindingly Obvious, when one turns as
part of the action of breaking in.

pedantic then. If you are in a marathon or sprint boat and you are on
placid water, you can make your turn a great deal easier by edging away
from the direction in which you wish to turn. Better?

If it's a long carved turn you want to do, but why assume it always is?
If you want to do a very sharp change of direction at the expense
of speed (perhaps to avoid an obstacle) a low brace/telemark turn
leaned to the inside will often be a much more effective way of
going about it.

And while such a maneuver my be unusual in a sprint boat, it
certainly isn't in a sea boat, and they have the waterline length
and hull design to make an outside leaned turn completely viable
and very common /where it is the right way to go about what you
wish to achieve/.

I use both directions of lean extensively in my sea boat, as I've
been taught to. So it just doesn't make any sense to say "you are
in a long boat, you always lean turns to the outside".

You call that pedantry if you like, IMHO saying the above is only
telling half the story and since it isn't hard telling all of it,
why not tell all of it?

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
Dom Murphy

Fair point. I see what you're saying re sea kayaks, and I guess the
same would apply to WWR boats. As far as K1 goes, I paddle mostly on a
canal (beggars can't be choosers) and I find the quickest way to turn a
K1 is a combination of bow rudder or bow draw at the start of the turn
with edging, followed by a powerful sweep on the other side - mind you,
I do have plenty of swims tryting it.