posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
Alan Adams

Default What way to edge.

In message . com
wrote:

Hi Muzz.
You raise the left side of the boat to turn left and the right to turn
right. It is counter intuitive. but once you get it it is simple enough
but still seams unstable.
The theory I have been told you increase the water line on the outside
of the turn by puting more of that side in the water, The longet water
line moves faster in the water than the short water line so it tends to
turn . By doing this you decrease the water line on the inside of the
turn.
Actually that lean lends itself well to sweep strokes as well.

The best way to check this out is go fast on flat water and lean as
hard as you can left and right with the rudder up. the turn should be
very tangeable. It it does not wotrk this way for you or you end up in
a swim mode try to get some keener to give it a shot.
I had Performance Kayaking, it is a good film.
The new This Is the Sea 2 is a great video if you can get it. It is in
our library. Our club places really cool videos in the public library
to promote kayaking.
Take care, glad you are doing well and paddling this far into the
season We have ice starting to cover lakes and ponds now. The sea is
still open and we still get out a bit.

Alex

The reason you lean when breaking into a flow is to maintain balance, not to
help the hull turn. The water will turn the hull, and your body needs to
move with the lateral acceleration. This is exactly like leaning a bicycle
when turning.

--
Alan Adams

http://www.nckc.org.uk/