Roo

Default Best Paddler

Hi All

It has been a while. Mind you a uk group didn't seem particularly
useful on the other side of the world.

How's this for starters?

x-posted from ukrgb-----------

Perhaps we should be asking what attributes are required to be the
best river runner (or playboater, slalomist, raft guide, sprinter, sea
kayaker etc.) you can be?

I'll start with 2 points I consider important for a river runner:

1) Ability to focus on the right line and not the nasty consequences.

2) A measured but reactionary paddling style.

3) ....

hf

Wilko

Roo wrote:
Hi All

It has been a while. Mind you a uk group didn't seem particularly
useful on the other side of the world.

How's this for starters?

x-posted from ukrgb-----------

Perhaps we should be asking what attributes are required to be the
best river runner (or playboater, slalomist, raft guide, sprinter, sea
kayaker etc.) you can be?

I'll start with 2 points I consider important for a river runner:

1) Ability to focus on the right line and not the nasty consequences.

2) A measured but reactionary paddling style.

3) A good knowledge of ones paddling ability and its limits, and knowing
how for to push those limits?

--
Wilko van den Bergh Wilkoa t)dse(d o tnl
Eindhoven The Netherlands Europe

riverman

"Wilko" wrote in message

Roo wrote:
Hi All

It has been a while. Mind you a uk group didn't seem particularly
useful on the other side of the world.

How's this for starters?

x-posted from ukrgb-----------

Perhaps we should be asking what attributes are required to be the
best river runner (or playboater, slalomist, raft guide, sprinter, sea
kayaker etc.) you can be?

I'll start with 2 points I consider important for a river runner:

1) Ability to focus on the right line and not the nasty consequences.

2) A measured but reactionary paddling style.

3) A good knowledge of ones paddling ability and its limits, and knowing
how for to push those limits?

4) A holistic understanding of your boat, the river, your clients, medicine,
politics, food preparation, interpersonal skills, geology and auto
mechanics.

--riverman

Kegs

"riverman" writes:

"Wilko" wrote in message

Roo wrote:
Hi All

It has been a while. Mind you a uk group didn't seem particularly
useful on the other side of the world.

How's this for starters?

x-posted from ukrgb-----------

Perhaps we should be asking what attributes are required to be the
best river runner (or playboater, slalomist, raft guide, sprinter, sea
kayaker etc.) you can be?

I'll start with 2 points I consider important for a river runner:

1) Ability to focus on the right line and not the nasty consequences.

2) A measured but reactionary paddling style.

3) A good knowledge of ones paddling ability and its limits, and knowing
how for to push those limits?

4) A holistic understanding of your boat, the river, your clients, medicine,
politics, food preparation, interpersonal skills, geology and auto
mechanics.

5) Knowing when to get out and walk

--
James jamesk[at]homeric[dot]co[dot]uk

I Xeroxed a mirror. Now I have an extra Xerox mach
Roo

On Tue, 11 May 2004 16:12:14 +0100, Roo wrote:

Hi All

It has been a while. Mind you a uk group didn't seem particularly
useful on the other side of the world.

How's this for starters?

x-posted from ukrgb-----------

Perhaps we should be asking what attributes are required to be the
best river runner (or playboater, slalomist, raft guide, sprinter, sea
kayaker etc.) you can be?

I'll start with 2 points I consider important for a river runner:

1) Ability to focus on the right line and not the nasty consequences.

2) A measured but reactionary paddling style.

3) ....

Cruised out in a river racer last night (on flat water).

I think that point 1 still stands. and point 2, given the number of
times I wobbled, I'm a bit of a novice with these tippy things you
see.

3) Focus on the forward stroke and the edging of the boat.
4) Good posture must be maintained for stroke efficiency.
5) .....

I spent a great deal of time trying to silence my stroke. Anyone got
any tips to reduce the "plop" noise. I couldn't work out the best
entry point for the blade? (Knackered Assymetrics) The fellas using
wings seemed to be much quieter......

Alex McGruer

Roo wrote in message . ..
[...]

On the sea it is an entry exit thing that just comes. You should see
no splash unless you are sprinting and no trail of water off your
blade.
Now that is quietly paddling along, not rock hopping or ripping down a
river.
Good luck
Alex

5) have all the toys to get you out of trouble , all the skills with
those toys accompanied by the experiance ( Wisdom ) never to need it.
Allan Bennett

In article , Alex McGruer
wrote:

I spent a great deal of time trying to silence my stroke. Anyone got
any tips to reduce the "plop" noise. I couldn't work out the best
entry point for the blade? (Knackered Assymetrics) The fellas using
wings seemed to be much quieter......

On the sea it is an entry exit thing that just comes. You should see
no splash unless you are sprinting and no trail of water off your
blade.

Not quite: For good forwards paddling technique, a good, solid, connected
catch is a pre-requisite. No splash on entry is an ideal, but not a
necessity.

For anyone employing an effective stroke, a certain amount (probably most of
the propulsive force) will be derived from hydrodynamic lift which will mean
that a vortex rotates around the blade. On exit this will mean a
considerable amount of water will be lifted with the blade. Not that this
means bucket-loads of water should be shovelled up, but that it is indicative
of an efficient stroke. Wing paddles (used as wings, not buckets!) lift lots
of wet stuff at the exit for this reason...

Allan Bennett
Not a fan of silent running