Ewan Scott

Default Post 2 Star Fun

My wife and I are relatively new L2 Coaches and have brought one party
of paddlers from absolute beginners through to 2 Star, and another
party up to 1 Star. Taking the 1 Star to the next stage is fairly
straightforwards as we have already taken them beyond 1 Star in some
areas. However we feel that there is a big confidence jump between 2
and 3 Star and rather than just press straight on with 3 Star
Coursework we feel that we should offer them some "fun" days where
they can use their 2 Star skills and develop their confidence. Given
that without a Level 3 Coach our expeditions are somewhat restricted
has anyone any suggestions for games and activities that will appeal
to 14 - 16 year olds and get them all moving? Ball Tig doesn't seem to
inspire them and we can only play Sharks and Minnows so often.

Ewan Scott
http://www.claytonwestscouts.org.uk

Broooz

"Ewan Scott" wrote in message
My wife and I are relatively new L2 Coaches and have brought one party
of paddlers from absolute beginners through to 2 Star, and another
party up to 1 Star. Taking the 1 Star to the next stage is fairly
straightforwards as we have already taken them beyond 1 Star in some
areas. However we feel that there is a big confidence jump between 2
and 3 Star and rather than just press straight on with 3 Star
Coursework we feel that we should offer them some "fun" days where
they can use their 2 Star skills and develop their confidence. Given
that without a Level 3 Coach our expeditions are somewhat restricted
has anyone any suggestions for games and activities that will appeal
to 14 - 16 year olds and get them all moving? Ball Tig doesn't seem to
inspire them and we can only play Sharks and Minnows so often.

If they want to learn more skills, by this stage, there probably has to be a
reason for it beyond having fun. Even then, you can probably incorporate
some skills into a game. For example, you might change your game of tig
into one where you have to capsize if you are caught. Then that makes being
able to roll an advantage. Or if they can roll already, then you might get
them to find different ways of rolling etc.

Ultimately a 14 year old and certainly a 16 year old will probably want to
see through to the next stage of their development. That may mean
playboating and you could start with some fla****er fun boats, or
expeditioning and you could find suitable trips within your expertise, or
whitewater canoeing. This way you are likely to keep more of them
interested. Therefore I suggest you contact your RCO and see if help can be
provided with a L3 coach. At the same time, you might want to consider
training for that level yourself (well done for getting your L2 though).

Mark Steward

If you go to Amazon.co.uk and search Canoe Games a couple of books come up
including one ebook you can download for £4.19.

There is a big jump between 2 and 3 star and young paddlers will get fed up
just trying to master strokes all the time.

Mark

"Ewan Scott" wrote in message
[...]

Nidge

Not quite the question you asked (but) ......

An increasing number of scout and VSU groups are getting into Canoe Polo.
There is an established 'coach the coaches' program which will enable you to
lead it. (Oddly enough co-ordinated by a bloke who is both GB squad manager
and in a separate guise heavily involved in scouting too).

There are full details on the BCU Canoe Polo website (if its back up). If
its not accessible mail me direct and I'll forward a contact e-mail address.

Nidge

Broooz

"Ewan Scott" wrote in message
Expeditions are dependent upon the presence of L3 coaches, and they
are not always available.

There are probably more than you think. Generally there are quite a few who
did the course and never lead but with a little encouragement who knows.

Their interpretation of a gentle paddle on
moving water is usually very diferent from that of our candidates.

A good L3 coach should find out what the group wants. I agree you need to
be careful though.

L3 for us is a possible, but first we need to do 4 Star, which given
that we started out doing Placid Water Open Cockpit, is a far cry from
what we had initially intended doing

Go for it. 4 star is not too hard. L3 coach will need rather more
dedication but if you enjoy it and the scouts do, you will be well rewarded.

Carter

Reading the posts in uk.rec.boats.paddle, I thought i would reply to Ewan
Scott with this...

I think some version of canoe polo might be a good way of getting
people involved. I've found that the games described in the games
books tend not to go down that well. For instance canoe tig, canoe
dodge ball type games :- everyone tends to sit around except the
person who is "on" and the one being targetted.

I like the idea of a game where if you make a mistake you capsize and
rescue or capsize and roll.

I'm also thinking of easy ways we could run some sort of Eskimo
Olympics but I need to work out suitable games.

BTW - I hated Chariots with three people and two kayaks.

We used to run a canoe club in a pool and one of the end of night games
was musical chairs (without the music and the chairs!). The boats would
be rafted and the person at one end, pops his spray deck, stands up and
walks along the back and round the other end and back to his own boat.
The boats have to stay rafted and anyone falls in is out (early shower).
After its been done a while you could practise the rescues to get people
back into boats.

Another 'game' was ropes. We would tie a rope to either toggle and the
kayak would be dragged up and down the pool by a couple of people. The
canoeist had to lean into the drag and practise staying up (high braces,
low braces, sculling) and depending on the level you could go as fast or
slow as they wanted. good if you've got a group who only ever want to
practice rolling!!

hth

--
Carter

"You're a big man but you're in bad shape, with me it's a full time job.
Now behave yourself." - Michael Caine (Get Carter)