Broooz

Default Post 2 Star Fun

"Ewan Scott" wrote in message
My wife and I are relatively new L2 Coaches and have brought one party
of paddlers from absolute beginners through to 2 Star, and another
party up to 1 Star. Taking the 1 Star to the next stage is fairly
straightforwards as we have already taken them beyond 1 Star in some
areas. However we feel that there is a big confidence jump between 2
and 3 Star and rather than just press straight on with 3 Star
Coursework we feel that we should offer them some "fun" days where
they can use their 2 Star skills and develop their confidence. Given
that without a Level 3 Coach our expeditions are somewhat restricted
has anyone any suggestions for games and activities that will appeal
to 14 - 16 year olds and get them all moving? Ball Tig doesn't seem to
inspire them and we can only play Sharks and Minnows so often.

If they want to learn more skills, by this stage, there probably has to be a
reason for it beyond having fun. Even then, you can probably incorporate
some skills into a game. For example, you might change your game of tig
into one where you have to capsize if you are caught. Then that makes being
able to roll an advantage. Or if they can roll already, then you might get
them to find different ways of rolling etc.

Ultimately a 14 year old and certainly a 16 year old will probably want to
see through to the next stage of their development. That may mean
playboating and you could start with some fla****er fun boats, or
expeditioning and you could find suitable trips within your expertise, or
whitewater canoeing. This way you are likely to keep more of them
interested. Therefore I suggest you contact your RCO and see if help can be
provided with a L3 coach. At the same time, you might want to consider
training for that level yourself (well done for getting your L2 though).