Carter

Default Post 2 Star Fun

Reading the posts in uk.rec.boats.paddle, I thought i would reply to Ewan
Scott with this...

I think some version of canoe polo might be a good way of getting
people involved. I've found that the games described in the games
books tend not to go down that well. For instance canoe tig, canoe
dodge ball type games :- everyone tends to sit around except the
person who is "on" and the one being targetted.

I like the idea of a game where if you make a mistake you capsize and
rescue or capsize and roll.

I'm also thinking of easy ways we could run some sort of Eskimo
Olympics but I need to work out suitable games.

BTW - I hated Chariots with three people and two kayaks.

We used to run a canoe club in a pool and one of the end of night games
was musical chairs (without the music and the chairs!). The boats would
be rafted and the person at one end, pops his spray deck, stands up and
walks along the back and round the other end and back to his own boat.
The boats have to stay rafted and anyone falls in is out (early shower).
After its been done a while you could practise the rescues to get people
back into boats.

Another 'game' was ropes. We would tie a rope to either toggle and the
kayak would be dragged up and down the pool by a couple of people. The
canoeist had to lean into the drag and practise staying up (high braces,
low braces, sculling) and depending on the level you could go as fast or
slow as they wanted. good if you've got a group who only ever want to
practice rolling!!

hth

--
Carter

"You're a big man but you're in bad shape, with me it's a full time job.
Now behave yourself." - Michael Caine (Get Carter)