Mitchell Gossman

Default Gotta fit this boat in garage, 3" to spare in width. Doable as a practical matter?

Haven't bought the boat yet, but the single garage door opening to my
triple garage is 105" wide, the boat I want is 102" wide. 1-1/2"
doesn't seem like much leeway when backing a 1-1/2 ton dual axle
boat/trailer in. Or is it?

It is a triple garage, but only the single door side is deep enough.
Is it possible to put her in diagonally through the double door with
the stern in the single side, then swing te tongue around in terms of
keeping the stern from swinging way over to the double side and with
the double axle situation?

I could attach it to a tongue on my more maneuverable 18 HP Honda
tractor mower, unsure if it has the strength and weight to accomplish
it - would trying it be worthwhile, or do I risk looking like
something out of a Laurel and Hardy short?

Thanks for any advice.
Ian Malcolm

Mitchell Gossman wrote:
Haven't bought the boat yet, but the single garage door opening to my
triple garage is 105" wide, the boat I want is 102" wide. 1-1/2"
doesn't seem like much leeway when backing a 1-1/2 ton dual axle
boat/trailer in. Or is it?

It is a triple garage, but only the single door side is deep enough.
Is it possible to put her in diagonally through the double door with
the stern in the single side, then swing te tongue around in terms of
keeping the stern from swinging way over to the double side and with
the double axle situation?

I could attach it to a tongue on my more maneuverable 18 HP Honda
tractor mower, unsure if it has the strength and weight to accomplish
it - would trying it be worthwhile, or do I risk looking like
something out of a Laurel and Hardy short?

Thanks for any advice.

Looks like a line it up, uncouple and winch it in *SLOWLY*. I have ~~6"
total side clearence + 1" from the transom to the door. Put in stern
first or with a nosewheel setup that gets the trailer level, I cant get
the doors shut. Of course my boat is small enough to manhandle the trailer.

Best double check that beam, If it doesnt include the rubbing strip
you'd be in SERIOUS doo-doo. Also you may want to sacrifice 1/2"
clearence each side to mount stout rollers to the inside of the door
frame incase you touch. Ideally need something to ring a bell or
whatever if they actually turn. Plan B is hang a glossy magazine on the
door frame each side in way of your maximum beam. If you start ripping
poages *stop* moving the boat.

ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk [at]=@, [dash]=- &
[dot]=.
*Warning* SPAM TRAP set in header, Use email address in sig. if you must.
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Uffa Fox designed, All varnished hot
moulded wooden racing dinghy circa. 1961

Chuck Tribolet

I haul my Boston Whaler Montauk into the garage by hand. I have 3"
on each side. I wouldn't want much less. One thing that helps is a line
scribed in the concrete on the centerline.

How wide is the TRAILER? Most trailers are wider than the boat.

And 102" is pretty wide for a trailer boat, and implies a long, tall boat. You must
have a very deep, tall garage. And 1.5 ton seems low for a boat
that size. The Boston Whaler Outrage 240 is 102" wide. And weighs 4400 pounds dry,
no engine. Minimum engine HP is 225 (Evinrude weighs 524 pounds). Gas
tank is 300 gallons = 1800 pounds at 6 pounds/gallon. Figure 1000
pounds for the trailer. That's 5124 pounds. 1.5 tons does not compute.

--
Chuck Tribolet

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet

Silicon Valley: STILL the best day job in the world.

"Mitchell Gossman" wrote in message m...
Haven't bought the boat yet, but the single garage door opening to my
triple garage is 105" wide, the boat I want is 102" wide. 1-1/2"
doesn't seem like much leeway when backing a 1-1/2 ton dual axle
boat/trailer in. Or is it?

It is a triple garage, but only the single door side is deep enough.
Is it possible to put her in diagonally through the double door with
the stern in the single side, then swing te tongue around in terms of
keeping the stern from swinging way over to the double side and with
the double axle situation?

I could attach it to a tongue on my more maneuverable 18 HP Honda
tractor mower, unsure if it has the strength and weight to accomplish
it - would trying it be worthwhile, or do I risk looking like
something out of a Laurel and Hardy short?

Thanks for any advice.

JR North

Plenty of room. As for the tractor...I have a custom made
class 2 hitch w/ 2-5/8" tow ball on the back of my '79
diesel Rabbit. Gets lots of strange looks . Use it to
maneuver my 25' MaXum and tandem trailer in the driveway. It
works hard to do it. I don't think your 18 hp tractor will
have the power you need.
JR

Mitchell Gossman wrote:

Haven't bought the boat yet, but the single garage door opening to my
triple garage is 105" wide, the boat I want is 102" wide. 1-1/2"
doesn't seem like much leeway when backing a 1-1/2 ton dual axle
boat/trailer in. Or is it?

It is a triple garage, but only the single door side is deep enough.
Is it possible to put her in diagonally through the double door with
the stern in the single side, then swing te tongue around in terms of
keeping the stern from swinging way over to the double side and with
the double axle situation?

I could attach it to a tongue on my more maneuverable 18 HP Honda
tractor mower, unsure if it has the strength and weight to accomplish
it - would trying it be worthwhile, or do I risk looking like
something out of a Laurel and Hardy short?

Thanks for any advice.

--
Remove X to reply

Joe Here

Default Gotta fit this boat in garage, 3" to spare in width. Doable as a practical matter? - Trcator.jpg (0/1) - Trcator.jpg (0/1)

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 00:57:58 -0500, Joe Here wrote:

On 1 Feb 2004 14:09:25 -0800, (Mitchell Gossman)
wrote:

Haven't bought the boat yet, but the single garage door opening to my
triple garage is 105" wide, the boat I want is 102" wide. 1-1/2"
doesn't seem like much leeway when backing a 1-1/2 ton dual axle
boat/trailer in. Or is it?

It is a triple garage, but only the single door side is deep enough.
Is it possible to put her in diagonally through the double door with
the stern in the single side, then swing te tongue around in terms of
keeping the stern from swinging way over to the double side and with
the double axle situation?

I could attach it to a tongue on my more maneuverable 18 HP Honda
tractor mower, unsure if it has the strength and weight to accomplish
it - would trying it be worthwhile, or do I risk looking like
something out of a Laurel and Hardy short?

Thanks for any advice.

Don't sell your tractor short. So long as the tongue wieght is not
excessive, and you can get traction on the wheels, your 18hp
tractor will move the boat easily. Attached is a small photo (flames
expexted) of my son moving our heavy fiberglass boat with an old 11hp
tractor. He was moving it to drain the rain water out!

I appologise, if the small Jpeg steals band-width from our political
posters.

Regards,
Joe.

Sorry, can't seem to attach the darn photo.

Regards.
.JIMinMA.

Default Gotta fit this boat in garage, 3" to spare in width. Doable as a practical matter? - Trcator.jpg (0/1) - Trcator.jpg (1/1)

Nice lawn

Joe Here

Default Gotta fit this boat in garage, 3" to spare in width. Doable as a practical matter? - Trcator.jpg (0/1)

wrote:

[...]

You're just as rude as they are. This is NOT a binary group.

Please accept my humble appologies. I was trying to help a fellow
boater, with a binary that is way smaller than many of the political
"OFF TOPIC" posts, and actually related to boats. I admit, it was
wrong of me to try an attach a small binary (29K) sorry.

I guess Bush, the Democrats & Janet Jackson's exposed breast, will
help this guy get his boat in garage.

Cheers