Wim deVries

Default Newbie re waxing

Does it make a difference to wax the bottom of my kayak?
Would a boatwax, which racers use do the trick?
Or is it just a waste of time?
It's a Perception 17ft Eclipse (Airolite)
Thank a lot
Wim

Michael Daly

On 8-Jun-2005, "Wim deVries" wrote:

Does it make a difference to wax the bottom of my kayak?
Would a boatwax, which racers use do the trick?
Or is it just a waste of time?

Waxing kayaks is a myth. The only wax paddlers use is for grip
on their paddles.

It's a Perception 17ft Eclipse (Airolite)

If you want more speed, get another kayak. The Eclipse is
average at speed and mediocre in handling.

Mike

Michael Daly wrote:
On 8-Jun-2005, "Wim deVries" wrote:

Does it make a difference to wax the bottom of my kayak?
Would a boatwax, which racers use do the trick?
Or is it just a waste of time?

Waxing kayaks is a myth. The only wax paddlers use is for grip
on their paddles.

It's a Perception 17ft Eclipse (Airolite)

If you want more speed, get another kayak. The Eclipse is
average at speed and mediocre in handling.

Mike

Wrong...
If you wax and polish the bottom of your boat it will increase the
speed but minutely. You won't notice the differance.
The wax will make the boat shiny and nice to look at. Depending on the
wax you use it may afford a little UV protection.

The Eclipse is not the fastest boat on the water but it is not the
slowest either. Handling is also a compromise. You won't find a realy
fast boat that handles worth a darn or a nimble rock hopper that will
rocket away.
My NDK Explorer for example is a fine boat for my purpose but if I
wanted to dust off a friend in his Seaward Quest I would have to work
pretty hard.
Now the same guy in the seaward would not want to follow me ito a cave
or rock garden.
All boats are a compromise except for pure racing boats. They are
wonderfull to racers but worthless to me and I expect you.

So Wax your boat if you want. It will make it more sliprery on the
beach, perhaps just a hair faster on the water, It will be clean as can
be, It will look good and you will feel good about that.
There is nothing wrong with Perceptions Eclipse. I don't like the seat
back and would replace it with a back band. We all have our own
prefferances.
My boats are a Capella , Plastic and slow but great for scooting around
rocks and a marvellous day paddler. My NDK Explorer is a good bit
faster and carries more stuff. I have a Sealution that is great for
introducing beginner paddlers to the sport , a couple of WW boats and a
couple of rec boats also grace my yard and trailer.
All these boats have a place, all have a purpose.
The eclipse is a nice boat and if you like it that is all that counts.
I preffer a Greenland / British design : That is only taste.
Good luck and welcome to a fantastic sport.
Alex McGruer
http://pages.ivilage.com/mcgruer

MikeSoja

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 12:22:30 -0400, "Wim deVries"
posted:

Does it make a difference to wax the bottom of my kayak?
Would a boatwax, which racers use do the trick?
Or is it just a waste of time?
It's a Perception 17ft Eclipse (Airolite)
Thank a lot
Wim

After a day paddling on the muddy rivers and lakes around here,
having wax on the boats seems to make it easier to wash off the
brown stain that builds up around the waterline.

Of course, waxing the boats a couple times a year probably expends
as much or more energy than is saved in slightly less scrubbing
after a trip.

Mike Soja

Brian Nystrom

Wim deVries wrote:
Does it make a difference to wax the bottom of my kayak?
Would a boatwax, which racers use do the trick?
Or is it just a waste of time?
It's a Perception 17ft Eclipse (Airolite)

Don't waste your time. You'll get more of a performance increase if you
spend the time you'd waste waxing out on the water instead, getting in
better shape and improving your stroke.

Fred Klingener

"Wim deVries" wrote in message
Does it make a difference to wax the bottom of my kayak?
Would a boatwax, which racers use do the trick?
Or is it just a waste of time?
It's a Perception 17ft Eclipse (Airolite)

Don't use wax. It interferes with the 303, which you _should_ be using.

http://www.303products.com/tech/inde...oduct_ID=35 5

Hth,
Fred Klingener

Dirk Barends

Alex McGruer wrote:
[...]
All boats are a compromise except for pure racing boats.

Helaas.. even 'pure' racing boats are a compromise
between racing rules, stability, tracking, etc.
One could even say that when two racing boats are equally fast,
the most stable one will win the races.

Dirk Barends

Wim deVries

Thank you all for the info
Since my original posting I have been kayaking everyday between 10 - 15km
Live on 46 km long lake, dotted with islands etc ; retired so what do ya
want more?
Waxing came to mind, because I have been yachting for about 53yrs and
waxing, undercoating of my racer was an important item. So it seems then
Points well taken 'cause wax may keep the sides cleaner or easier to be
cleaned.
Have a good weekend and an enjoyable paddle with good company
c ya Wim

wrote in message
ups.com...

Michael Daly wrote:
[...]

Complete newbie to sailing and boating looking for some good sites and information. Wilson General 9 February 17th 05 02:43 AM
Newbie with the sailing bug Mark ASA 12 October 20th 04 07:58 PM
Waxing plastic boats Steven Bennett Touring 6 April 11th 04 10:32 PM
Newbie Kayaker Needs Info Jerry General 1 September 25th 03 11:37 AM
Newbie Q - old Johnson 40 problem Booms General 6 September 20th 03 02:15 PM