Michael Daly wrote:
On 8-Jun-2005, "Wim deVries" wrote:

Does it make a difference to wax the bottom of my kayak?
Would a boatwax, which racers use do the trick?
Or is it just a waste of time?

Waxing kayaks is a myth. The only wax paddlers use is for grip
on their paddles.

It's a Perception 17ft Eclipse (Airolite)

If you want more speed, get another kayak. The Eclipse is
average at speed and mediocre in handling.

Mike

Wrong...
If you wax and polish the bottom of your boat it will increase the
speed but minutely. You won't notice the differance.
The wax will make the boat shiny and nice to look at. Depending on the
wax you use it may afford a little UV protection.

The Eclipse is not the fastest boat on the water but it is not the
slowest either. Handling is also a compromise. You won't find a realy
fast boat that handles worth a darn or a nimble rock hopper that will
rocket away.
My NDK Explorer for example is a fine boat for my purpose but if I
wanted to dust off a friend in his Seaward Quest I would have to work
pretty hard.
Now the same guy in the seaward would not want to follow me ito a cave
or rock garden.
All boats are a compromise except for pure racing boats. They are
wonderfull to racers but worthless to me and I expect you.

So Wax your boat if you want. It will make it more sliprery on the
beach, perhaps just a hair faster on the water, It will be clean as can
be, It will look good and you will feel good about that.
There is nothing wrong with Perceptions Eclipse. I don't like the seat
back and would replace it with a back band. We all have our own
prefferances.
My boats are a Capella , Plastic and slow but great for scooting around
rocks and a marvellous day paddler. My NDK Explorer is a good bit
faster and carries more stuff. I have a Sealution that is great for
introducing beginner paddlers to the sport , a couple of WW boats and a
couple of rec boats also grace my yard and trailer.
All these boats have a place, all have a purpose.
The eclipse is a nice boat and if you like it that is all that counts.
I preffer a Greenland / British design : That is only taste.
Good luck and welcome to a fantastic sport.
Alex McGruer
http://pages.ivilage.com/mcgruer