Jerry

Default Newbie Kayaker Needs Info

I just bought my first kayak. It is a 14.5' Aquaterra Spectrum. I believe
that it must be a discontinued model 'cuz I can't seem to find out very
much information about it on the net. As far as I can deduce, by using my
search engine, it is/was made by Perception. (Someone please correct me
if I'm wrong)

The cockpit is 34.75" x 20.25" and I need to know what size cockpit cover
I need. I've seen a few at several online stores but the measurements
they have posted don't seem to be the correct size for my boat. Anybody
know what size cockpit cover I should order for an Aquaterra Spectrum?
The lady that I bought the boat from told me that it came with a cockpit
cover and there is what appears to be a cockpit cover laying in the boat
but it doesn't fit the cockpit. It does fit the rear hatch (with a bit of
stretching) but it definitely does not fit the cockpit. The measurements
of both the cockpit and the rear hatch are outside measurements. (To the
outside of the lip around each)

The lady that I bought the boat from sold it to me as a sea-kayak but my
neighbor told me that it it a touring kayak. Being the newbie that I am,
would someone please explain, to me, the difference between a sea kayak
and a touring kayak.

I'd also like to know what size/style sprayskirt will fit my boat and me.
I'm 6'1" and weigh 205 with a waist measurement of 44" and a chest
measurement of 46"

Thanks in advance. I will appreciate any information.
Jerry

PS I posted this message to both newsgroups. "rec.boats.paddle &
rec.boats.paddle.touring" I didn't know which would be the most
appropriate group, hence the crossposting to both groups.
jj

Blankibr

Jerry,

Welcome to kayaking. My first kayak was an Aquaterra Spectrum. Perception
acquired Aquaterra. The Spectrum was discontinued several years ago.

The terms sea kayak and touring kayak are often used interchangably. Those are
different from recreational kayaks which are the shorter, wider boats. I would
suggest the Spectrum is just over the line into touring/sea category.

I have used that boat on a five day camping trip and learned to roll in it. I
also sold it and purchased a faster, better tracking boat within about a year.
YMMV

I never had a cockpit cover for it, but you could make your own (like I did for
the two SKs I own now). My skirt was a nylon Perception model. You can
probably find a generic nylon skirt for it at most paddling shops. You might
have to try a few so it would be handy to take the boat with you.

If I recall correctly the boat doesn't have a bulkhead in the front. You MUST
have a floatation bag in there or that end of the kayak could sink when filled
with water. Trust me, that is a bad thing.

I recommend you find your local kayak club and get connected. They can help
you a lot and someone might even have a used skirt or cockpit cover to sell.

Welcome and good luck,

Brian Blankinship