Blankibr

Default Newbie Kayaker Needs Info

Jerry,

Welcome to kayaking. My first kayak was an Aquaterra Spectrum. Perception
acquired Aquaterra. The Spectrum was discontinued several years ago.

The terms sea kayak and touring kayak are often used interchangably. Those are
different from recreational kayaks which are the shorter, wider boats. I would
suggest the Spectrum is just over the line into touring/sea category.

I have used that boat on a five day camping trip and learned to roll in it. I
also sold it and purchased a faster, better tracking boat within about a year.
YMMV

I never had a cockpit cover for it, but you could make your own (like I did for
the two SKs I own now). My skirt was a nylon Perception model. You can
probably find a generic nylon skirt for it at most paddling shops. You might
have to try a few so it would be handy to take the boat with you.

If I recall correctly the boat doesn't have a bulkhead in the front. You MUST
have a floatation bag in there or that end of the kayak could sink when filled
with water. Trust me, that is a bad thing.

I recommend you find your local kayak club and get connected. They can help
you a lot and someone might even have a used skirt or cockpit cover to sell.

Welcome and good luck,

Brian Blankinship