Tor Arne Benjaminsen

Default Looking for opinions about the Prijon Barracuda

Hello paddlers! :-)

I've been given an offer on a used Prijon Barracuda at a very reasonable
price. The boat is in very good condition, hardly used, with a rudder
fitted. The price includes a spray skirt, but a rather cheap paddle (Prijon
RIM, very heavy and has that cheap plastic feel, and also wrong feather
angle) which I will be replacing. But I digress.

What I'm interested in now is digging up as much 'dirt' about the Barracuda
as possible. If you have negative experiences with this kayak, I want to
hear them! Of course, if you have nice things to say about it that's
interesting too. I've read a few favorable reviews and the seller of course
has only positive things to say about it, but I want to make sure I'm not
buying the proverbial cat in the bag. You can tell by the quote in my
signature that I like to take my precautions. ;-)

Thankful for any input!

Cheers!
Tor Arne Benjaminsen, Trondheim, Norway

--
Proper prior planning prevents **** poor performance.
torarnb ætt stud dått ntnu dått no

Prijon makes fine boats.
I have paddled most but not the Barracuda .
It is a bit of a departure from Prijons clunky offerings.
At about 17 feet and 21 beam it is a boat I might like.
She will be a little tippy compared to other Prijon boats but has the
length to be fast and the beam to be interesting. This appears to be an
intermediate to advanced offering.
Prijon builds fine boats, they hold their price well.
The Baracuda sells for about $1,900.00 Canadian. MSR Price is closer to
$2,100.00. A Canadian Dollar is worth about 80 Cents US.
At first blush it looks like a fine boat. I would buy it on spec if I
got it for $1,500.00 or $1,700.00 Canadian. ( without deck and paddle )

This assumes I was looking for a boat.
Good Luck,.
Hope this helps.
Alex

Tor Arne Benjaminsen

Prijon makes fine boats.
I have paddled most but not the Barracuda .
It is a bit of a departure from Prijons clunky offerings.
At about 17 feet and 21 beam it is a boat I might like.
She will be a little tippy compared to other Prijon boats but has the
length to be fast and the beam to be interesting. This appears to be an
intermediate to advanced offering.
Prijon builds fine boats, they hold their price well.

Thanks for your opinion! I've inspected the boat in question, and it is in
very good condition. I've tried to paddle it, and it did indeed feel very
tippy, almost like an unbroken stallion that doesn't want to be ridden.
(Even threw me in the water, the cheeky devil!) But once you get it up to
speed it is, like you say, a completely different ride from for instance the
Prijon Seayak. Very fast, excellent tracking, but turns nicely with the
rudder. I've fallen completely in love with it! I've decided to buy it, and
I'm hoping for a long and beautiful friendship! :-)

The Baracuda sells for about $1,900.00 Canadian. MSR Price is closer to
$2,100.00. A Canadian Dollar is worth about 80 Cents US.
At first blush it looks like a fine boat. I would buy it on spec if I
got it for $1,500.00 or $1,700.00 Canadian. ( without deck and paddle )

Those prices don't seem to compare with the prices here in Norway at all. A
new Barracuda with the rudder option, including deck and paddle costs close
to 18.000 NOK ($3500 Canadian). The offer I've been given is 12.000 NOK
($2300 Canadian).

This assumes I was looking for a boat.
Good Luck,.
Hope this helps.
Alex

Thanks! :-)

--
Proper prior planning prevents **** poor performance.
torarnb ætt stud dått ntnu dått no

For some reason we get great pricing here on boats and gear. I own an
NDK explorer ( a little over $3,400.00 Canadian. That is an old price i
have had the boat for 4 years. I own a poly P & H Capella, again at
$1,700 Cdn. new that likely gives you a run for it . I also have a
couple of other boats I have accumulated over the past decade or so.
I am sure you will be very pleased with the Prijon. Now you are going
to have to get good with braces.
I hope you have a ball in it and if you are ever in Newfoundland
Canada look us up. www.kayakers.nf.ca is the club web site and my site
is http://pages.ivillage.com/mcgruer We would be delighted to take you
out and introduce you to seals, whales , perhaps bergs and some of our
other paddling attractions.
Alex McGruer

Tor Arne Benjaminsen

I am sure you will be very pleased with the Prijon. Now you are going
to have to get good with braces.

Hehe, yeah, and rolls! :-)

I hope you have a ball in it and if you are ever in Newfoundland
Canada look us up.
www.kayakers.nf.ca is the club web site and my site
is http://pages.ivillage.com/mcgruer We would be delighted to take you
out and introduce you to seals, whales , perhaps bergs and some of our
other paddling attractions.
Alex McGruer

Thanks for the invite! I checked out your pages and you guys really have
some quite amazing scenery and wildlife over there! I'll look you up if I
ever visit. :-)