Brian Nystrom

Alder Creek Kayak & Canoe wrote:

the reason I don't use the screws that come with the 70-P is they are sheet
metal screws and are very sharp. I have seen shreaded drybags from said
screws.

It takes all of a minute to reach up with a pair of wire cutters and nip
the ends off and/or coat them with a dab of sealer. You're going to have
to do that with any screws that are similar in length, as they'll all
have the same tendency to shred gear bags, assuming that they do at all.
Since there's no way to tell how thick the material in the screw
locations is, you're going to have to use over-length screws to start
with. In several of the boats I've installed them in, the screws were
either completely embedded in the deck or they were situated in such a
high, protected recess that it was unlikely that any gear would be able
to get close to them.

Alder Creek Kayak & Canoe

on screws that are a bit too long, and I don't want to cut, I just put
another nylock on and tighten only enough for the lock to engage. this
makes for a blunt screw end.

agreed on the unknown length issue. on identical boats the thickness of
this area can vary 1 screw size.

steve--
Alder Creek Kayak & Canoe N 45º 36.285'
250 NE Tomahawk Isle Dr. W 122º 39.841'