Alder Creek Kayak & Canoe

on screws that are a bit too long, and I don't want to cut, I just put
another nylock on and tighten only enough for the lock to engage. this
makes for a blunt screw end.

agreed on the unknown length issue. on identical boats the thickness of
this area can vary 1 screw size.

steve--
Alder Creek Kayak & Canoe N 45º 36.285'
250 NE Tomahawk Isle Dr. W 122º 39.841'
Portland, OR 97217 Web: www.aldercreek.com
Phone: 503.285.0464 Email:

Gene Cosloy

Brian Nystrom wrote in message ...
Ken Ferschweiler wrote:
Steven Murch ) wrote:
: Hi Gene,

: I just got my compass, the same , 70P for my Romany 16. I went out and got
: 4 # 4 machine screws 3/4" for the nut, with #4 washers and a nylon nut also
: a #4. I also got the # 4 machine screw 1/2" to minimize the steel to the
: compass if the 3/4" are too long. The screws that came with the compass are
: #4 1/2". I had to search around town for the #4 hardware but was very lucky
: to find them. I'll use a marine glue for the drill holes. I think the
: drill holes will be 7/64. I would not go up to a #6 hardware. As crazy as
: it may seem; its more steel to the compass. I was thinking of going without
: the washers to keep steel away form the compass.

It's not difficult to find machine screws in 316 stainless, which is
pretty close to non-magnetic (but not perfect; anybody had a problem
with stainless screws upsetting a compass?).

Why not just use the screws that comes with the compass and be done with
it? They work absolutely fine, which is why they're included. You guys
have come up with a bunch of "solutions in search of a problem". There's
no need to re-engineer this.

Hi Brian,
No need to beat a dead horse but if there is a way to screw (no pun
intended) this up, I found it. Seems the brass plate under the top
cover will not allow the screw to turn freely, so if you try to mount
the whole compass with the screws already in both plates as is found
in the box, you will as I did overtighten and breakoff the screw
heads. Luckily my local hardware store had replacements.

Cheers,
Gene
Brian Nystrom

Gene Cosloy wrote:

Brian Nystrom wrote in message ...

Why not just use the screws that comes with the compass and be done with
it? They work absolutely fine, which is why they're included. You guys
have come up with a bunch of "solutions in search of a problem". There's
no need to re-engineer this.

Hi Brian,
No need to beat a dead horse but if there is a way to screw (no pun
intended) this up, I found it. Seems the brass plate under the top
cover will not allow the screw to turn freely, so if you try to mount
the whole compass with the screws already in both plates as is found
in the box, you will as I did overtighten and breakoff the screw
heads. Luckily my local hardware store had replacements.

I know what you're referring to, but I've never had that problem. If you
push the mounting flange firmly against the surface that you're screwing
into (normal practice), the screws tighten fine. Even when I haven't
held the flange tight to the surface, it's not been a problem. I guess
you were just unlucky,