tmac

Default recommendations for a newbie

Hello all,

I am having a late midlife crisis and instead of a Boxter or a new wife i
thought I might try canoeing, but don't want to get a second mortgage. I
would really welcome some suggestions for a decent all purpose, but mostly
river travelling, canoe. Also, any help w/ accessories to get started right
would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance to all who offer advice.

Terry in NW Arkansas

Jon C

What kind of price range are you looking at? For about $500 you can get a
pretty decent Old Town canoe. For about $1000 I'd recommend a Royalex - Mad
River or maybe a Dagger if you can find one.

"tmac" wrote in message
m...
Hello all,

I am having a late midlife crisis and instead of a Boxter or a new wife i
thought I might try canoeing, but don't want to get a second mortgage. I
would really welcome some suggestions for a decent all purpose, but mostly
river travelling, canoe. Also, any help w/ accessories to get started

right
would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance to all who offer advice.

Terry in NW Arkansas

Dan Valleskey

I dunno, dude, if I could afford a Boxster and a new wife, I think I'd
be willing to sell ALL my canoes.

where you paddle and who you paddle with have a lot to do with your
questions.

A fast solo, or a good handling solo. Bell Wildfire fits the bill for
a lot of folks. Get a dry bag or two. Find a nice carbon-fiber bent
shaft paddle. (Zaveral) Get decent racks for your Boxster..... er,
for your car. Double racks are great, it is nice to be able to haul
extra boats to ease shuttles.

Aviod wood gunwales unless you can store the boat under a roof.

Learn to camp, buy a tent, sometimes you will want to paddle rivers
away from home, most paddlers don't use hotels. And you may want to
try boat camping one day.

Hook up with the best local paddlers you can find. They know what
works in your area. and they know where to paddle.

Buy a guide book or two.

-Dan V.

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 23:49:52 GMT, "tmac"
wrote:

Hello all,

I am having a late midlife crisis and instead of a Boxter or a new wife i
thought I might try canoeing, but don't want to get a second mortgage. I
would really welcome some suggestions for a decent all purpose, but mostly
river travelling, canoe. Also, any help w/ accessories to get started right
would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance to all who offer advice.

Terry in NW Arkansas

Richard Ferguson

I ended up with an Old Town Camper, 16 feet long, around 36 inches wide.
Like the name says, it is good for camping out, carrying lots of gear,
can be paddled solo or tandem. It weighs less than 60 pounds, so good
for those of us who aren't getting any younger, easier to pick up and
throw on the roof of the car, etc. (I am not sure you can get a canoe
rack for a Boxer). The relatively wide hull makes it more stable,
slower, and allows it to carry more stuff. A buddy has a very similar
Old Town boat, I forget the model, it is maybe an inch narrower.

Royalex boats like this one are usually good choices for river use, will
take more abuse but weigh more than Kevlar boats. Kevlar boats are
probably not for people starting out in paddling. Obviously river boats
should not have a keel.

I guess I would urge you to stay with kind of middle of the road
designs, there are some more radical designs out there, but I don't
think that they are for beginners. Look at the numbers, especially the
width and the weight. Old Town and Mad River are a couple of the big
manufacturers with a wide range of models. There are different boats
for different purposes and tastes, but I think that your needs call for
more of a middle of the road boat.

As far as gear, start with paddling life jackets and straight shaft
paddles, and then upgrade later. If you do harder rivers you will add
float bags, thigh straps, ....

My two cents worth from somebody who was in your shoes not too long ago.

Richard

tmac wrote:
Hello all,

I am having a late midlife crisis and instead of a Boxter or a new wife i
thought I might try canoeing, but don't want to get a second mortgage. I
would really welcome some suggestions for a decent all purpose, but mostly
river travelling, canoe. Also, any help w/ accessories to get started right
would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance to all who offer advice.

Terry in NW Arkansas

John Ernst

You might consider a Mohawk. www.mohawkcanoes.com They come in a wide
variety and are made of fiberglass, or Royalex which is not as durable as
Kevlar when banged around, but I think it is easier to repair then some of
the composite plastics. The price is fairly reasonable as well and they can
take the punishment. I still have my Mohawk that was made in 1980.
You also might consider a Coleman. It is cheaper then a Mohawk, can perform
well, is fairly stable in water and holds up well to moderate abuse.
It might be just the thing for someone just starting out.
(My two just starting out daughters have one) Check out this site for some
prices and details. http://shop.store.yahoo.com/1stdirect/coleman.html
If you are married, or have a significant other, you might be surprised what
a romantic canoe trip down a quiet river might do for your, lack of a better
word, love life.
If you still have kids at home, you might consider getting more then one
canoe. Family canoeing can become very addictive.
Rent, borrow, beg a canoe or two and see how things go before buying one.

Keep in mind that canoes are just like autos, everyone thinks that theirs is
the best built, has better performance, and is well worth the money that
they cost.

In the end you are the one that makes the choice

Hope this helped you out a little,

John Ernst

"tmac" wrote in message
m...
Hello all,

I am having a late midlife crisis and instead of a Boxter or a new wife i
thought I might try canoeing, but don't want to get a second mortgage. I
would really welcome some suggestions for a decent all purpose, but mostly
river travelling, canoe. Also, any help w/ accessories to get started

right
would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance to all who offer advice.

Terry in NW Arkansas

Jon C

Oh yeah, accessories. Get some decent paddles, obviously. A few drybags
and a Pelican case or Otter Box (they're quick to open, so very convenient
for cameras). If you don't already have them, some good sandals (Keens are
very nice) and a good roof rack for hauling it around.

"tmac" wrote in message
m...
Hello all,

I am having a late midlife crisis and instead of a Boxter or a new wife i
thought I might try canoeing, but don't want to get a second mortgage. I
would really welcome some suggestions for a decent all purpose, but mostly
river travelling, canoe. Also, any help w/ accessories to get started

right
would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance to all who offer advice.

Terry in NW Arkansas

John Ernst

Gee, nice addition. How could I have forgotten it? Simple, Brain Cramp.
Two other things that you might consider is a rain jacket of some kind, and
if you go canoeing in cool weather, a pair of neoprene, or another water
retarding/insulating gloves might be nice. With me it doesn't take too much
cool water before my hands really start to feel it. I know, I'm getting old.

John

"tmac" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Terry,

I think I just went through the same crisis myself.
Try eBay, I just got a 1 year old Winonah Adirondack that looked as though it had never been out of the garage for
$500.00.
I also got 2 kevlar paddles (can't remember the brand) that retail for $249.00 each but I paid $70.00 for both.

HTH,

Ken B.
Apply ROT13 to address to reply
John J Ernst

I agree that Ebay would be a great choice. I have gotten a number of good
deals on there, and have seen even more.

I have seen a number of canoes on ebay, but most say "local delivery only"
which I consider a pain in the butt because I live quite a number of miles
from where the are being sold, ( I guess that people around here never sale
canoes)and at $2.00+ a gallon, by the time I travel two days there and back
I think I would have bought a new canoe.

I wish you all the good luck in finding one. Whether you go with new or
used. Myself, canoeing is a great way to spend hours with family and
friends.

John

wrote in message
[...]

Steve Drossel

Hi Terry,
My initial $.01 of advice would be to rent/demo if you can....
Bending Branches, Wenonah, LLBean, Malone, and Sawyer make fine wood
paddles....straight or bentshaft....although paddle handles are very
generic and should be carved/sanded down to fit one's hand for more
efficiency and comfort. Until you can appreciate the pros/cons of a
stiffer carbon paddle...I'd stick with a good wood paddle, the shaft
flexes more...adding comfort.(just my $.01)
Today, the heavier, historically cheaper, Royalex canoes are almost as
expensive as a good kevlar, so really take a look at the difference in
price and average it out and if you have the cash, kevlar or cedar
strip pay for themselves many times over through thier paddling fun
and lighter weight to carry, plus there are ALWAYS good USED kevlar
canoes forsale.
You'd be surprised at just how much punishment a good kevlar hull can
take...and remain seaworthy. Kevlar hulls are lighter and are much
easier to paddle, pick up speed verrrry quickly, and cruise faster
than Royalex hulls(A real help in a brisk wind), yet are the material
of bulletproof vests.
Take a look at what type of water is accessible to you and/or what
type of water you want to paddle after you acquire some
skills....different boats for different strokes/types of water.....
If available, take classes....it's the fastest way to progress...

Have Fun...
Steve