Dan Valleskey

Default recommendations for a newbie

I dunno, dude, if I could afford a Boxster and a new wife, I think I'd
be willing to sell ALL my canoes.

where you paddle and who you paddle with have a lot to do with your
questions.

A fast solo, or a good handling solo. Bell Wildfire fits the bill for
a lot of folks. Get a dry bag or two. Find a nice carbon-fiber bent
shaft paddle. (Zaveral) Get decent racks for your Boxster..... er,
for your car. Double racks are great, it is nice to be able to haul
extra boats to ease shuttles.

Aviod wood gunwales unless you can store the boat under a roof.

Learn to camp, buy a tent, sometimes you will want to paddle rivers
away from home, most paddlers don't use hotels. And you may want to
try boat camping one day.

Hook up with the best local paddlers you can find. They know what
works in your area. and they know where to paddle.

Buy a guide book or two.

-Dan V.

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 23:49:52 GMT, "tmac"
wrote:

Hello all,

I am having a late midlife crisis and instead of a Boxter or a new wife i
thought I might try canoeing, but don't want to get a second mortgage. I
would really welcome some suggestions for a decent all purpose, but mostly
river travelling, canoe. Also, any help w/ accessories to get started right
would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance to all who offer advice.

Terry in NW Arkansas