John Ernst

Default recommendations for a newbie

You might consider a Mohawk. www.mohawkcanoes.com They come in a wide
variety and are made of fiberglass, or Royalex which is not as durable as
Kevlar when banged around, but I think it is easier to repair then some of
the composite plastics. The price is fairly reasonable as well and they can
take the punishment. I still have my Mohawk that was made in 1980.
You also might consider a Coleman. It is cheaper then a Mohawk, can perform
well, is fairly stable in water and holds up well to moderate abuse.
It might be just the thing for someone just starting out.
(My two just starting out daughters have one) Check out this site for some
prices and details. http://shop.store.yahoo.com/1stdirect/coleman.html
If you are married, or have a significant other, you might be surprised what
a romantic canoe trip down a quiet river might do for your, lack of a better
word, love life.
If you still have kids at home, you might consider getting more then one
canoe. Family canoeing can become very addictive.
Rent, borrow, beg a canoe or two and see how things go before buying one.

Keep in mind that canoes are just like autos, everyone thinks that theirs is
the best built, has better performance, and is well worth the money that
they cost.

In the end you are the one that makes the choice

Hope this helped you out a little,

John Ernst

"tmac" wrote in message
m...
Hello all,

I am having a late midlife crisis and instead of a Boxter or a new wife i
thought I might try canoeing, but don't want to get a second mortgage. I
would really welcome some suggestions for a decent all purpose, but mostly
river travelling, canoe. Also, any help w/ accessories to get started

right
would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance to all who offer advice.

Terry in NW Arkansas