Steve Drossel

Default recommendations for a newbie

Hi Terry,
My initial $.01 of advice would be to rent/demo if you can....
Bending Branches, Wenonah, LLBean, Malone, and Sawyer make fine wood
paddles....straight or bentshaft....although paddle handles are very
generic and should be carved/sanded down to fit one's hand for more
efficiency and comfort. Until you can appreciate the pros/cons of a
stiffer carbon paddle...I'd stick with a good wood paddle, the shaft
flexes more...adding comfort.(just my $.01)
Today, the heavier, historically cheaper, Royalex canoes are almost as
expensive as a good kevlar, so really take a look at the difference in
price and average it out and if you have the cash, kevlar or cedar
strip pay for themselves many times over through thier paddling fun
and lighter weight to carry, plus there are ALWAYS good USED kevlar
canoes forsale.
You'd be surprised at just how much punishment a good kevlar hull can
take...and remain seaworthy. Kevlar hulls are lighter and are much
easier to paddle, pick up speed verrrry quickly, and cruise faster
than Royalex hulls(A real help in a brisk wind), yet are the material
of bulletproof vests.
Take a look at what type of water is accessible to you and/or what
type of water you want to paddle after you acquire some
skills....different boats for different strokes/types of water.....
If available, take classes....it's the fastest way to progress...

Have Fun...
Steve