Craig Steven Hanson

Default Strip Wood Products

I am in the process of building an Aleut Baidarka sea kayak. I got the plans
from Nick Schade, considered an artist when it comes to building "crafts". I
have the forms completed and I'm ready to start stripping the hull. I am
unable to find a place to purchase the wood from. I checked before I started
this project and I was assured by three places that they could provide the
materials for me. So I did research the issue I am facing. Any assistance
would be greatly useful.
CSH

Richard Ferguson

What kind of wood are you looking for specifically? Redwood, cedar?
What size? How long? Do you have a bandsaw or table saw to cut strips
from a plank? Do you have a planer to smooth the strips after you cut
them out? Have you considered buying shorter pieces and scarfing them
together to make longer pieces?

I built a redwood strip canoe once, but it was a long time ago.

Richard

Craig Steven Hanson wrote:

I am in the process of building an Aleut Baidarka sea kayak. I got the plans
from Nick Schade, considered an artist when it comes to building "crafts". I
have the forms completed and I'm ready to start stripping the hull. I am
unable to find a place to purchase the wood from. I checked before I started
this project and I was assured by three places that they could provide the
materials for me. So I did research the issue I am facing. Any assistance
would be greatly useful.
CSH

Gary S.

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 07:23:42 -0800, "Craig Steven Hanson"
wrote:

I am in the process of building an Aleut Baidarka sea kayak. I got the plans
from Nick Schade, considered an artist when it comes to building "crafts". I
have the forms completed and I'm ready to start stripping the hull. I am
unable to find a place to purchase the wood from. I checked before I started
this project and I was assured by three places that they could provide the
materials for me. So I did research the issue I am facing. Any assistance
would be greatly useful.
CSH

Shipping costs can be significant. Where is there?

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

John Fereira

"Craig Steven Hanson" wrote in
:

Hello Again,I am in northwestern WI. I am looking for 20' x 3/4"
redwood and cedar. preferably 4" to 6" quarter cut. Thanks!

I built a cedar strip Outer Island a couple of winters ago.
(http://caddis.mannlib.cornell.edu/pa...and/index.html)

Even though I live in a fairly small town one of the local lumber stores
carried WR cedar in lengths up to 20' and 10" wide. You may have to call
around a bit bit I find it hard to believe that you won't be able to find a
place to find your stock.

Even though I had 20' planks available I didn't buy them. I built my boat
in my basement and it just isn't big enough to rip strips from 20' long
stock (requiring a 40' long space). I used 12' long boards and except for
the accent stripes, which I scarfed, I used butt joints for the rest of the
boat. They're not really noticable until you get within a few feet of the
boat and my intention was to build a boat to be paddled, not a piece of
furniture. Even though I have a surface planer, and used it to even up the
thickness of the strips, it's not really necessary. Differences in
thickness in the strips will be taken care of when you plane/fair the hull.

John Caldeira

"Craig Steven Hanson" wrote:
Hello Again,I am in northwestern WI. I am looking for 20' x 3/4" redwood and
cedar. preferably 4" to 6" quarter cut. Thanks!

It is often a lot easier to find and buy lengths shorter than 20 foot
and then scarf-join them together. Here in Dallas, Texas, I can
usually find relatively knot-free, color-matched, western red cedar
decking timber by picking through the stacks at stores such as Home
Depot and Lowe's.

I mostly buy 2"x8" decking timber in 12 foot lengths, rip it first
into 2"x4" and then rip those again to make 1"x4" that can be cut into
strips.

It can be very unwieldy to work with 20' lengths. Scarf joints are
barely visible if the strips from each board are kept separate and
then matched together.

http://www.outdoorplace.org/paddling/

John

John Caldeira
Dallas, Texas, USA
http://www.outdoorplace.org/
Dan Dunphy

We got our Cedar from somewhere in Minnesota. Avoid redwood,It's
heavier, and splinters badly. Stick to cedar. My Indiana friends use
yellow poplar, but you should be able to get cedar where you live.
While every board in my boat is full length, there's no reason you
can't scarf, other than looks..
Some places will sell you precut strips, Flounder Bay, in Michigan is
one. Shipping is the gotcha, unless you can go get it. We buit 12
years ago, and minimum shipping was $95 for up to 200 lbs. We bought
enough to build 4 canoes. I stripped and bead and coved about half of
it, asn I have a 37 foot long shop.
I would use a 3/8 radius bead and cove on 1/4 inch strips -- I used
1/4 inch B&C and it was flimsy.
Go here http://www.wcha.org/ and pose your question. These guys know
more about wooden canoes than anyone.
Dan

wrote:

I am in the process of building an Aleut Baidarka sea kayak. I got the plans
from Nick Schade, considered an artist when it comes to building "crafts". I
have the forms completed and I'm ready to start stripping the hull. I am
unable to find a place to purchase the wood from. I checked before I started
this project and I was assured by three places that they could provide the
materials for me. So I did research the issue I am facing. Any assistance
would be greatly useful.
CSH

Colorado Springs, CO
My advice may be worth what you paid for it.
Craig Steven Hanson

Thank you so much for your help group. The information I got here has solved
my problem. Also, the information on the Redwood comparison to cedar, I am
doing inlays and alot of decorative things on it, thats why I wanted to
avoid having to scarf shorter peices. I will post a jpg when i'm done with
it. Again, Thank You!
Sincerely,
Craig S. Hanson

"Craig Steven Hanson" wrote in message
I am in the process of building an Aleut Baidarka sea kayak. I got the

plans
from Nick Schade, considered an artist when it comes to building "crafts".

have the forms completed and I'm ready to start stripping the hull. I am
unable to find a place to purchase the wood from. I checked before I

started
this project and I was assured by three places that they could provide the
materials for me. So I did research the issue I am facing. Any assistance
would be greatly useful.
CSH

Strip Wood Craig Steven Hanson Boat Building 7 February 12th 04 06:45 PM
Strip Wood Craig Steven Hanson General 1 February 11th 04 07:36 PM
Vac Bagging a wood strip kayak Roger Martin Boat Building 2 October 13th 03 02:41 PM
Steam bending basics?? steamer Boat Building 11 August 28th 03 04:29 PM