Craig Steven Hanson

Default Strip Wood

I am in the process of building an Aleut Baidarka sea kayak. I got the plans
from Nick Schade, considered an artist when it comes to building "crafts". I
have the forms completed and I'm ready to start stripping the hull. I am
unable to find a place to purchase the wood from. I checked before I started
this project and I was assured by three places that they could provide the
materials for me. So I did research the issue I am facing. Any assistance
would be greatly useful.
CSH

RichG

What thickness do you need?
RichG

"

Roger Martin

www.oneoceankayaks.com has a listing of western red cedar strip suppliers.

There is also an Australian timber - Kiri - which is about 25% lighter than
red cedar - www.highpointtimbers.com.au

IMHO its better to saw and rout the strips yourself - you can make strips of
variable widths 3/8" through to 1 1/2". You really do need the narrow strips
for the compound curves - 1" strips just do not bend enough.

--
www.bribieisland4x4hire.com
VW Kombi Camper Buy Backs

Jim Conlin

Theother benefit of milling your own strips is that you have better control over
grain and color. I've seen some commercially milled strips which, while quite
precise in their dimensions, are quite variable in their color. I try to match
the several boards which i'll use. Some builders even number the tsrips as
they're sliced and put 'em on the boat in the samer order.

Roger Martin wrote:

www.oneoceankayaks.com has a listing of western red cedar strip suppliers.

There is also an Australian timber - Kiri - which is about 25% lighter than
red cedar - www.highpointtimbers.com.au

IMHO its better to saw and rout the strips yourself - you can make strips of
variable widths 3/8" through to 1 1/2". You really do need the narrow strips
for the compound curves - 1" strips just do not bend enough.

--
www.bribieisland4x4hire.com
VW Kombi Camper Buy Backs
Landcruiser Troopy - Toyota Hilux Crew Cab
Mitsubishi Pajero - Landrover V8 Swag Camper

Backyard Renegade

"Craig Steven Hanson" wrote in message .. .
I am in the process of building an Aleut Baidarka sea kayak. I got the plans
from Nick Schade, considered an artist when it comes to building "crafts". I
have the forms completed and I'm ready to start stripping the hull. I am
unable to find a place to purchase the wood from. I checked before I started
this project and I was assured by three places that they could provide the
materials for me. So I did research the issue I am facing. Any assistance
would be greatly useful.
CSH

Try, http://www.woodfinder.net
Disclaimer: Woodfinder and/or partners are clients of my parent corp.
Scotty
Craig Steven Hanson

I need redwood and cedar, I need 20' lengths by 3/4" thick. I have saws,
routers, planer. I wanted to use both woods for effect. I live in northwest
WI. Thanks much for the advice so far.

"Craig Steven Hanson" wrote in message
I am in the process of building an Aleut Baidarka sea kayak. I got the

plans
from Nick Schade, considered an artist when it comes to building "crafts".

have the forms completed and I'm ready to start stripping the hull. I am
unable to find a place to purchase the wood from. I checked before I

started
this project and I was assured by three places that they could provide the
materials for me. So I did research the issue I am facing. Any assistance
would be greatly useful.
CSH

Charles Erskine

I know they are not in your neighborhood, but might try getting a
quote for the strips with shipping from this outfit:

http://www.flounderbay.com/

The wood I have bought from them has been top quality.