peterMelbourneAustralia

Default Ply vs Strip planking

I know this has been asked many times.

I would like to build a 1 man 18ft tri out of ply or strip planking.

Is strip planking as strong as ply? Does it cost more (i can easily
get prices for marine ply) and does the strip planking need a coat of
fiberglass over the top?

Apart from being perhaps faster to build with are there any advantages
of ply over strip planking?

N. Peter Evans
Glenn Ashmore

Depends on the design. Plywood is generally cheaper and faster than
strip but you can develop more complex shapes with strip. Also it
depends on the design but both can be built equally strong. While some
hulls are still built in traditional strip most are sheathed in
fiberglass these days.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Chris Crandall

Glenn Ashmore ) wrote:
: Depends on the design. Plywood is generally cheaper and faster than
: strip but you can develop more complex shapes with strip. Also it
: depends on the design but both can be built equally strong. While some
: hulls are still built in traditional strip most are sheathed in
: fiberglass these days.

Glenn is correct, as far as he goes. He could go further. There is
virtually no design that can be created--sensibly--in either ply or strip.

Strip is much, much slower, harder, labor intensive, and depending upon
technique. Ply is dead easy, faster, and flatter.

If the same boat can be built in both, then it should be built in ply,
unless your head is in the clouds, your time is on your hands, and your
money is flowing out your wallet.

They are different techniques, and they are for different applications.
Generally, these days, stripping is for amateurs to apply to complex
shapes, or professionals to make very beautiful hulls (amateurs, too).

If it can be built in plywood, it should, as compared to strip.
peterMelbourneAustralia

Thanks Chris,

Your information is good becaue it helps me to clarify my thoughts
that were getting all confused. I had information like that of half an
ama being strip planked in a day and things like that.

However I started to do some costings, timber cost per sqr unit area,
epoxy cost per sqr unit area and ply was coming out cheaper.

Plus am not intending to make a superfast dream machine, just a simple
1 person trimaran to sail around the coast. (to everyone Please,
Please, Please dont send links to boats that would 'suit' me).

Thanks again,

N. Peter Evans
steveJ

peterMelbourneAustralia wrote:
Does it cost more?

I prefer strip planking because I can mill locally available
white cedar lumber to make strips that are less expensive than
top quality imported marine (brunzeel or occume) plywood. I also know
the quality of the strips whereas with plywood I am suspicious of
voids and glue if the plywood is not rated.
Many plywood designs require a glass epoxy sheathing anyway, negating
any difference there. Also, compound curves are difficult or impossible
with plywood.

So it all depends on what you are building, and what is available for
materials in your area. I imagine New England Northern white cedar could
get pretty pricey in Austrialia but plywood made in Indonesia might be
very reasonable.

Plywood is faster to build with though. But if your labor is free.....
The other BIG advantage of strip planking is that you have more freedom
to create a boat that LOOKS BEAUTIFUL. While some plywood boats look
nice, it's still a plywood boat. The strip built boat is generally
viewed as a nicer product....so if you wanted to sell it, you might get
more for it than a comparable plywood boat.
If you buy all of your strips pre milled at top dollar (about $.35 US/
linear foot for 1/4 inch) then strip planked will cost more and take
longer than using plywood. If you mill your own from locally available
suitable wood (any soft lightweight wood), then strip will be cheaper,
take longer, but produce a "nicer" product.

and does the strip planking need a coat of
fiberglass over the top?

Yes, unless you are building a boat where the thickness of the planks
are enough to edge nail and you plan on fastening the strips to
permanent frames. On an 18 ft Trimaran this would not be the case and
the epoxy sheathing would normally be considered a part of the composite
structure of the boat.