John Caldeira

Default Strip Wood Products

"Craig Steven Hanson" wrote:
Hello Again,I am in northwestern WI. I am looking for 20' x 3/4" redwood and
cedar. preferably 4" to 6" quarter cut. Thanks!

It is often a lot easier to find and buy lengths shorter than 20 foot
and then scarf-join them together. Here in Dallas, Texas, I can
usually find relatively knot-free, color-matched, western red cedar
decking timber by picking through the stacks at stores such as Home
Depot and Lowe's.

I mostly buy 2"x8" decking timber in 12 foot lengths, rip it first
into 2"x4" and then rip those again to make 1"x4" that can be cut into
strips.

It can be very unwieldy to work with 20' lengths. Scarf joints are
barely visible if the strips from each board are kept separate and
then matched together.

http://www.outdoorplace.org/paddling/

John

John Caldeira