Dan Dunphy

Default Strip Wood Products

We got our Cedar from somewhere in Minnesota. Avoid redwood,It's
heavier, and splinters badly. Stick to cedar. My Indiana friends use
yellow poplar, but you should be able to get cedar where you live.
While every board in my boat is full length, there's no reason you
can't scarf, other than looks..
Some places will sell you precut strips, Flounder Bay, in Michigan is
one. Shipping is the gotcha, unless you can go get it. We buit 12
years ago, and minimum shipping was $95 for up to 200 lbs. We bought
enough to build 4 canoes. I stripped and bead and coved about half of
it, asn I have a 37 foot long shop.
I would use a 3/8 radius bead and cove on 1/4 inch strips -- I used
1/4 inch B&C and it was flimsy.
Go here http://www.wcha.org/ and pose your question. These guys know
more about wooden canoes than anyone.
Dan

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 07:23:42 -0800, "Craig Steven Hanson"
wrote:

I am in the process of building an Aleut Baidarka sea kayak. I got the plans
from Nick Schade, considered an artist when it comes to building "crafts". I
have the forms completed and I'm ready to start stripping the hull. I am
unable to find a place to purchase the wood from. I checked before I started
this project and I was assured by three places that they could provide the
materials for me. So I did research the issue I am facing. Any assistance
would be greatly useful.
CSH

Colorado Springs, CO
My advice may be worth what you paid for it.