William R. Watt

Default Camping Equipment Recommendations?

I'd get the biggest tent you can carry in your kayak. I wouldn't worry
about weight because the water will be carrying it, not you. And I
wouldn't worry about winter grade because its pretty hard to paddle a
kayak in frozen water. However I would worry about space, especially when
you're caught in bad weather (too much wind and rain to paddle) and have
to spend some time cooped up in the tent. I'd get an el cheapo and replace
it every few years for less than teh cost of one of the high priced
expedition tents, unless a person has money to waste or wants to impress
other campers. What often happens is someone buys the best equipment, uses
it for a couple years, and then loses interest in camping and has to give
the high price merchandise away for some ridiculously low price.

I used to like to travel solo by automobile staying at campgounds and had
a cheap 10 person tent which was just the right size to spread my stuff
around in, hang stuff to dry and air out at night (it gets wet with dew
outside), and sit in a folding chair and read on cold, wet days. I soon
got tired of lying down all night and all day on month-long trips. Of
everything I took, the oversized tent was best.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Timo Noko

In article , William R. Watt wrote:
I'd get the biggest tent you can carry in your kayak.

It can be darn difficult to find a place for an oversized tent.
Sometimes you are lucky to find any flat area suitable for one man to
sleep on. Oversized tent would be the worst thing ever on places like
these:

http://www.kolumbus.fi/timo.noko/bellabe1.jpg
http://www.kolumbus.fi/timo.noko/kasa.jpg