steveJ

Default Camping Equipment Recommendations?

MSR Whisperlite...most impressive lightweight stove I have ever owned.

Forget inflatable matresses. They get a hole and they are worthless.
Some are more worthless than others. I use the thin blue foam ones
instead, if you can find them. I find if I am way out in the wilderness
there is usually no problem finding a soft spot to place a tent. State
Parks are another thing all together...ugh. Ok, ok, inflatables are nice.

Petzel head lamps...free your hands.

Synthetic Fleece...it works great as long as you use a wind shell over
it. Dries fast, light weight, warm. One of the best inventions since...
well....since wool.

Lanterns...I don't use them. I use a small candle lantern (can't
remember the brand.)in the tent. I generally sleep when it is dark.
Use a D cell flash light to get up and pee.

Deet...forget Woodsman's fly dope. Forget OFF. And definitely forget
Avon skin so soft. Go for the 100% DEET but watch your eyes and only use
it when you really need to.

A pair of horse hide work gloves. Make great pot holders and never wear out.

Lots of light rope. Nylon clothes line is fine. Parachute cord is too
skinny for me but works too. It also costs more. Forget bungie cord.
It's for people who are too lazy to learn to tie a knot. It should be
outlawed. IMHO

Pants where the bottoms of the legs unzip to make shorts.

A large military type waterproof poncho. You can live in it if you have
to and stay dry in pouring rain. I usually lay it on wet ground.

Polyethylene plastic ground sheet for when you are living in your
poncho. I like the six mil black. You can get heavy stuff at farm supply
stores.
Duct Tape...I have lots left over from last year when Mr Rumsfeld
terrorized everyone about poisen gas and bioterrorist attacks.
I also have some Howard Dean buttons...what the heck am I going to do
with these things?

North face 3 season sleeping bags..good enough for me.

Still looking for a decent and INEXPENSIVE simple rain proof grommetted
tarp. Most vendors are asking WAY too much for a rectangle of fabric.

Waterproof clear plastic zip lock sleeve to store charts and maps.

A couple of good dry bags...any brand will work.

A sturdy pair of metal tongs for picking up hot food and pots and moving
pieces of burning wood around.

I use liter bottles of store bought water and store them where ever I
can find a place. Never used a water maker.

I use a three person Kelty tent. It's pretty flimsey but I've stayed dry
in some horrendous rain storms. You have to set up and tension the fly
exactly right though.

A beautiful wife and a good book. Is there anything else you need?

wpatrick wrote:
My wife and I are going to start camping from our kayaks. We have not bought
camping gear in years and are looking for recommendations on makes, models,
vendors... Keep in mind that I am 6'4" tall with size 14 shoes... I need a
bit more room than most folks.

We are especially interested in sleeping bags... Make/model... Temp range

Tents ... 4 person .... 3 season

Stoves

Lanterns

Sleeping mats, cots, inflatable mattresses

Anything else you can think of!