Jake Janovetz

Default Camping Equipment Recommendations?

Are you going to be camping in the summer? spring? winter? That
will make a big difference on the tent and bags.

I have a Walrus Two Star (I think). It's technically a 3-season but
I've used it several times in the winter -- Montana, Wisconsin,
Minnesota, Colorado. With the rain-fly it isn't too bad. I couldn't
afford two tents and I'd rather be cold than sweaty and sticky. Plus,
I sleep with a hot (90 deg Celsuis) water bottle at my feet in the
winter, so I rarely have trouble.

Get a sleeping mattress. I have a 3/4 thermarest (light) and 3/4
thermarest (regular). You don't lose much heat through the contact
between your legs and the ground, so I don't use a full-length. The
light has been fine for me well below 0 centigrade. If you won't be
winter camping much, get a light -- unless you think the added
thickness is important for comfort. I normally let my girlfriend use
the regular.

I have a couple North Face bags (Cat's Meow and Flight 3D). They're
great. Sierra Designs and others make good Polarguard stuff. Don't
get down since you'll be kayaking with it -- it doesn't work wet.
Even if you bag it up, they'll get wet somehow.

It's important that you go to a store and check out the tents in
person if you're concerned about fitting. If you boat with it, you
shouldn't spend too much extra for small packing size or weight. Get
something roomy and comfortable. Space is always nice in a tent.

Stoves -- I have an MSR Whisperlight, but I think it's more of a
backpacker stove than what you need. You can find others that are
easier to setup and tear down that may not be as small but are fine if
you've got a vehicle (kayak).

Cheers,
Jake

wpatrick wrote in message ...
My wife and I are going to start camping from our kayaks. We have not bought
camping gear in years and are looking for recommendations on makes, models,
vendors... Keep in mind that I am 6'4" tall with size 14 shoes... I need a
bit more room than most folks.

We are especially interested in sleeping bags... Make/model... Temp range

Tents ... 4 person .... 3 season

Stoves

Lanterns

Sleeping mats, cots, inflatable mattresses

Anything else you can think of!