Njord

Default What is this "pin" thing called?

Hmm, replying to my own post. But wondering if this has anything to do with
the expression 'to pull the pin'?

--

Njord

"Lord, your sea is so big, and my boat is so small"

Anonymous

"Njord" wrote in message
Also, I believe the reason that the pin fit into a hole and was thereby
removable was to permit rapid unbelaying if necessary.

--

Njord

"Lord, your sea is so big, and my boat is so small"

Anonymous

"Vince Brannigan" wrote in message

Brian Sharrock wrote:
"Mike1" wrote in message

In old "pirate" movies, you'll sometimes see, during a fight, a man

pull
out a special-shaped wooden pin or club and use it as a weapon.
Sometimes he has one or more on him, but often he yanks it from a
mounting bracket on the rail of the ship (where there appear to be

many
of things, for, I presume, tying down lines to tack the sails).

Question: Do these pins have a specific name?

Answer: Yes! -couldn't resist the temptation to

Question: what is the specific name for the items discussed?

Answer: Belaying pins. Ropes, line, halyards, sheets etc, etc,
are belayed onto the appropriate pin so that the

rope-work
looks tiddly and Bristol fashion and that the crew can
fumble
in the dark and select the correct piece of string.

Note
that
the rope-work is _not_ tied-off in a knot or bend which

may
jam
but they are wound around the head of the pin and the

tail
of the pin - belayed - then the remaining length is

coiled
and
handed onto to head of the pin.

Hope that helps

--

Brian

almost there

Belaying pins actually function as a machine. The pin protudes through
the pin rail. the "rope" comes down vertically past the pinrail and a
"turn" is takn around the tail of the pin. This changes the angle of
pull 90 degrees and allows more people to pull on the rope than if it
just came down vertically. The rope can also be attached to a
windlass. Friction between the rope and the pin rail adds to the work
load, but in a trained crew is also used to grab the rope while you
change hands or tie off the rope. the rope is tied off by taking a
"hitch" in the rope in which the standing part is crossed over itself
and dropped over the top of the pin. Pulling on the rope tightens down
the "belay knot" (yes its a knot) on the head of the pin

if the load is very heavy and you need more friction you can take a
second belay by taking a second turn aroun the tail and making a
"double belay".

Vince

Dale Farmer

Njord wrote:

Hmm, replying to my own post. But wondering if this has anything to do with
the expression 'to pull the pin'?

"Once you pull the pin, Mister Hand Grenade is no longer your friend. "

-- The sergeant who had the thankless task of instructing me, and a whole
bunch
of other Hospital Corpsmen, on throwing hand grenades to cause injury to the
other side.

--Dale

Ogden Johnson III

"Njord" wrote:

Hmm, replying to my own post. But wondering if this has anything to do with
the expression 'to pull the pin'?

Hand grenade pins and belaying pins have nothing in common.
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo addy is burned before reading.
Bill Schnakenberg

Ogden Johnson III wrote:

"Njord" wrote:

Hmm, replying to my own post. But wondering if this has anything to do with
the expression 'to pull the pin'?

Hand grenade pins and belaying pins have nothing in common.

Nor do police badges. In PD jargon (at least in the NYPD), 'to pull the
pin' means to retire. In olden days, the badge was secured to the
uniform with a large separate safety pin. Later badges had a pin as an
integral part of the badge. Pulling the pin meant that the badge was
removed forever.

Vince Brannigan

Bill Schnakenberg wrote:
Ogden Johnson III wrote:

"Njord" wrote:

Hmm, replying to my own post. But wondering if this has anything to
do with
the expression 'to pull the pin'?

Hand grenade pins and belaying pins have nothing in common.

Nor do police badges. In PD jargon (at least in the NYPD), 'to pull the
pin' means to retire. In olden days, the badge was secured to the
uniform with a large separate safety pin. Later badges had a pin as an
integral part of the badge. Pulling the pin meant that the badge was
removed forever.

I never heard any NYPD person refer to it as anything other than a "shield"

vince

Bill Schnakenberg

Vince Brannigan wrote:

Bill Schnakenberg wrote:

Ogden Johnson III wrote:

"Njord" wrote:

Hmm, replying to my own post. But wondering if this has anything to
do with
the expression 'to pull the pin'?

Hand grenade pins and belaying pins have nothing in common.

Nor do police badges. In PD jargon (at least in the NYPD), 'to pull
the pin' means to retire. In olden days, the badge was secured to the
uniform with a large separate safety pin. Later badges had a pin as
an integral part of the badge. Pulling the pin meant that the badge
was removed forever.

I never heard any NYPD person refer to it as anything other than a
"shield"

I was not a NYPD cop. I call it a badge. Whether the NYPD calls it a
'shield', or the slang word 'tin', does it change the meaning of my
message?
I invite you to go to this official NYPD page. Read the very last paragraph.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/ch...d-history.html

Joe Osman

Dale Farmer wrote:

Njord wrote:

Hmm, replying to my own post. But wondering if this has anything to do with
the expression 'to pull the pin'?

"Once you pull the pin, Mister Hand Grenade is no longer your friend. "

-- The sergeant who had the thankless task of instructing me, and a whole
bunch
of other Hospital Corpsmen, on throwing hand grenades to cause injury to the
other side.

--Dale

Have you ever had a human being look so intensely at you as
your hand grenade instructor? I had the feeling that one
flinch and he was out of there, with me as his ladder/blast
shield.

Joe

ZZBunker

Bill Schnakenberg wrote:
Ogden Johnson III wrote:

"Njord" wrote:

Hmm, replying to my own post. But wondering if this has anything to
do with
the expression 'to pull the pin'?

Hand grenade pins and belaying pins have nothing in common.

Nor do police badges. In PD jargon (at least in the NYPD), 'to pull the
pin' means to retire. In olden days, the badge was secured to the
uniform with a large separate safety pin. Later badges had a pin as an
integral part of the badge. Pulling the pin meant that the badge was
removed forever.

I never heard any NYPD person refer to it as anything other than a "shield"

But, that's only because NYPD can't really be compared to
any other police force in the nation. Since NYPD
is a quasi-military force not a police force.

Or as probably the true statement that was ever said about
New York City goes:

Don't worry about looking for the Lost and Found Department
in New York since you're lost in Hell.

vince

Dale Farmer

Joe Osman wrote:

Dale Farmer wrote:

Njord wrote:

Hmm, replying to my own post. But wondering if this has anything to do with
the expression 'to pull the pin'?

"Once you pull the pin, Mister Hand Grenade is no longer your friend. "

-- The sergeant who had the thankless task of instructing me, and a whole
bunch
of other Hospital Corpsmen, on throwing hand grenades to cause injury to the
other side.

--Dale

Have you ever had a human being look so intensely at you as
your hand grenade instructor? I had the feeling that one
flinch and he was out of there, with me as his ladder/blast
shield.

I don't know. The only thing I was looking at was the grenade and the ground
I was walking over.

--Dale

Chris

It's a belaying pin.

Used to fasten rope, etc.., and yes, also as a happenstance club if need be.
Nothing more elegant than swinging a chair in a bar fight really. but it
gets the job done.

) OT ) Bush's "needless war" Jim General 3 March 7th 04 07:16 AM
What is this "pin" thing called? Mike1 General 40 November 11th 03 08:18 PM
GRETTIR'S SAGA (continued) Nik ASA 0 September 19th 03 10:12 PM
Cromwell, Nik Warrenson, same thing? Bertie the Bunyip ASA 0 August 29th 03 01:53 AM