Schoonertrash

Default What is this "pin" thing called?

Mine was from Alabama. The commands we "Chunk 'nade . .. .CHUNK!"
Damn that was a lot of years ago . . ..

Scott

The belaying pin-system was an early type of quick-release cleating system.
The pins fit into holes in the fife-rail that are called "bung-holes"!

"Christopher Horner" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 01:30:00 -0500, Mike1
wrote:

In old "pirate" movies, you'll sometimes see, during a fight, a man pull
out a special-shaped wooden pin or club and use it as a weapon.
Sometimes he has one or more on him, but often he yanks it from a
mounting bracket on the rail of the ship (where there appear to be many
of things, for, I presume, tying down lines to tack the sails).

Question: Do these pins have a specific name?

If the first pic on this ( http://www.tallshipbounty.org/belay.html ) page
is what you are talking about then, you're thinking of belaying pins, used
either for lashing/belaying running rigging, or motivating the crew.

--
Christopher Horner

Chris

"Scott" wrote in message
The belaying pin-system was an early type of quick-release cleating

system.
The pins fit into holes in the fife-rail that are called "bung-holes"!

Heh heh...

Bunghole.

Terence Lynock MSW

The message
from Dale Farmer contains these words:

I don't know. The only thing I was looking at was the grenade and
the ground
I was walking over.

--Dale

If you really want to make your instructor move fast hold the lever down
tight,pull the pin and throw the pin away.........

regards, Terry

) OT ) Bush's "needless war" Jim General 3 March 7th 04 07:16 AM
What is this "pin" thing called? Mike1 General 40 November 11th 03 08:18 PM
GRETTIR'S SAGA (continued) Nik ASA 0 September 19th 03 10:12 PM
Cromwell, Nik Warrenson, same thing? Bertie the Bunyip ASA 0 August 29th 03 01:53 AM