posted to rec.boats.racing.power
43V

Default hello

HELLO.....hello...........hhheeellllooo
quite the echo in here

posted to rec.boats.racing.power
bBob

"43V" wrote in message
oups.com...
HELLO.....hello...........hhheeellllooo
quite the echo in here

Most of the racers quit posting here after the big '****ing contest' of a
few summers ago.

I was hoping they would have started coming back by now.

Larry

My turbine powered boat project;
http://www.weldingfaq.com/turbine2.asp

posted to rec.boats.racing.power
43V

cool site how is the project coming along?who was the Jeff in the one
spat about saving the sport? have you seen Ron Hill and Ted March's
site?
http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...2&forumids=123
i race those lil A stocks. I just joined apba last year

posted to rec.boats.racing.power
bBob

"43V" wrote in message
oups.com...
cool site how is the project coming along?

I'm cleaning up my GE SDG today (while waiting for the City to issue my
building permit). As soon as I get paperwork, I'll be focusing on getting my
26' wide by 44' long by 16' high boat storage building put up.
Then I'll get that monster 'turbine powered'.

have you seen Ron Hill and Ted March's site?
http://www.boatracingfacts.com

Yes. Ron's site is full of great pics and good info.

i race those lil A stocks.

Those are a blast. I used to race 20 mod hydro and two-man runabout- what a
gas!

posted to rec.boats.racing.power
43V

as a' new' racer. last year was my first full year of racing. being
able to learn so much about the history of the sport (at BRF) it has
been wonderfull . on top of that people are a little 'looser' with go
faster tips there than anywhere else i have found on the net.

Those are a blast. I used to race 20 mod hydro and two-man runabout-
what a
gas!

but nothing can compare i am sure, to the awsome power of a turbine
powered boat. are they kinda like a turbine bike ? where it starts out
kinda soft then just keeps pushing harder and harder?do those gear
reducers have a clutch? if so are they cone? or are you under power as
soon as you start up?
you mentioned reworking the ex. so it pointed up . how much downward
force does that apply to the boat it has to be some doesnt it? or is
the majority of the energy applied to the vanes of the turbine as it
proggress thu the engine? if so do they have alot more vanes than say a
comparable hp thrusting engine (poor choice of terminology i am sure).
doesnt a turbine helocopter got some of its foward thrust fom the
output of the ex?

posted to rec.boats.racing.power
bBob

Hi Kevin,
I'll try to answer your questions. Many of these topics are covered at
http://www.weldingfaq.com/turbine1.asp

you mentioned reworking the exhaust so it pointed up. how much downward
force does that apply to the boat it has to be some doesn't it?

The T58 passes much more air than it uses for combustion- it's just hot air
that has already run across the power turbine blades (not useful for
thrust), so the force is minimal.

where it starts out
kinda soft then just keeps pushing harder and harder?

A turbine power curve is a lot like the wankel- just keeps going and going
till you reach 100% (which should be right around 120mph)!

do those gear
reducers have a clutch?

No. Just 3.25:1 reduction is the Speed Decreaser Gear (SDG). But I plan to
use a 'disk brake' to stop the power turbine from turning. Then I can shift
Fwd-N-Rev with an SCS Crashbox. More details are posted on my web site.

doesnt a turbine helocopter got some of its foward thrust fom the
output of the ex?

Very minimal.

do they have alot more vanes than say a
comparable hp thrusting engine

The main difference between this T58 (turboshaft) and a typical turbojet
(thrust engine as you say) is the connected power turbine. This single set
of blades turns an output shaft at 1400 HP. So if I remove the power turbine
I can use the thrust just like any other jet engine. There's a little more
to it, but that's the basic idea.

I'm currently cleaning up my GE SDG and will post more photos as I go.

Thanks

"43V" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

thanks for answering my questions.
sorry that was rude of me to ask you what you had allready gone to the
time and trouble to put on your site. I had gotten wrapped up in the
welding and ran out of time while looking at the boat project. then
asked you here instead of going back.
BTW I went into the welding thinking lets see what this guy knows. lol
i left it sure that you know ALOT more than I on that subject
you put together a very nice site. I feel you did a wonderfull job
putting the physics in to lay terms that anyone can understand well
done

posted to rec.boats.racing.power
Don Dando

The two prime participants were too rude and vulgar for most of us. When
they gloated over their accomplishments of "trashing" the group it was
pretty apparent to most of us that these were not the people we really
needed to be associated with.

If they ran as fast on the water as they did their mouths, they would be
world record holders! Most of doubted if they really raced boats or just
blew smoke, they sure were not like any of the fine boat racers I ran with
for many years.

It was like they were needing to enroll in a substance abuse program.

Don Dando

"bBob" wrote in message

"43V" wrote in message
oups.com...
HELLO.....hello...........hhheeellllooo
quite the echo in here

Most of the racers quit posting here after the big '****ing contest' of a
few summers ago.

I was hoping they would have started coming back by now.

Larry

My turbine powered boat project;
http://www.weldingfaq.com/turbine2.asp

posted to rec.boats.racing.power
grassStain

"Don Dando" wrote in message
The two prime participants were too rude and vulgar for most of us. When
they gloated over their accomplishments of "trashing" the group it was
pretty apparent to most of us that these were not the people we really
needed to be associated with.

If they ran as fast on the water as they did their mouths, they would be
world record holders! Most of doubted if they really raced boats or just
blew smoke, they sure were not like any of the fine boat racers I ran with
for many years.

It was like they were needing to enroll in a substance abuse program.

Don Dando

I was hoping they would have started coming back by now.

And when they come back, they should be 'civil' and not bringing up the 'old
grudges'.

Let's move on and take BOAT RACING!