posted to rec.boats.racing.power
bBob

Default hello

Hi Kevin,
I'll try to answer your questions. Many of these topics are covered at
http://www.weldingfaq.com/turbine1.asp

you mentioned reworking the exhaust so it pointed up. how much downward
force does that apply to the boat it has to be some doesn't it?

The T58 passes much more air than it uses for combustion- it's just hot air
that has already run across the power turbine blades (not useful for
thrust), so the force is minimal.

where it starts out
kinda soft then just keeps pushing harder and harder?

A turbine power curve is a lot like the wankel- just keeps going and going
till you reach 100% (which should be right around 120mph)!

do those gear
reducers have a clutch?

No. Just 3.25:1 reduction is the Speed Decreaser Gear (SDG). But I plan to
use a 'disk brake' to stop the power turbine from turning. Then I can shift
Fwd-N-Rev with an SCS Crashbox. More details are posted on my web site.

doesnt a turbine helocopter got some of its foward thrust fom the
output of the ex?

Very minimal.

do they have alot more vanes than say a
comparable hp thrusting engine

The main difference between this T58 (turboshaft) and a typical turbojet
(thrust engine as you say) is the connected power turbine. This single set
of blades turns an output shaft at 1400 HP. So if I remove the power turbine
I can use the thrust just like any other jet engine. There's a little more
to it, but that's the basic idea.

I'm currently cleaning up my GE SDG and will post more photos as I go.

Thanks

"43V" wrote in message
oups.com...
as a' new' racer. last year was my first full year of racing. being
able to learn so much about the history of the sport (at BRF) it has
been wonderfull . on top of that people are a little 'looser' with go
faster tips there than anywhere else i have found on the net.

Those are a blast. I used to race 20 mod hydro and two-man runabout-
what a
gas!

but nothing can compare i am sure, to the awsome power of a turbine
powered boat. are they kinda like a turbine bike ? where it starts out
kinda soft then just keeps pushing harder and harder?do those gear
reducers have a clutch? if so are they cone? or are you under power as
soon as you start up?
you mentioned reworking the ex. so it pointed up . how much downward
force does that apply to the boat it has to be some doesnt it? or is
the majority of the energy applied to the vanes of the turbine as it
proggress thu the engine? if so do they have alot more vanes than say a
comparable hp thrusting engine (poor choice of terminology i am sure).