Default Stupid boat launching question

I bought a 13-foot aluminum boat and trailer this summer. I never owned one
before, so I had to figure out how to get it into the water using a boat
launching ramp. As far as I can tell, part of that process includes backing
the trailer into the water and then actually having to wade into the water a
short distance to push the boat off the trailer.

My stupid question is: Now that it's getting cold outside, if I want to
launch the boat in cold weather, do I actually have to wade into icy cold
water on a cold day to do that? I assume there must be another way to do
this.

Alta47 wrote:
I bought a 13-foot aluminum boat and trailer this summer. I never owned one
before, so I had to figure out how to get it into the water using a boat
launching ramp. As far as I can tell, part of that process includes backing
the trailer into the water and then actually having to wade into the water a
short distance to push the boat off the trailer.

My stupid question is: Now that it's getting cold outside, if I want to
launch the boat in cold weather, do I actually have to wade into icy cold
water on a cold day to do that? I assume there must be another way to do
this.

The question isn't stupid, especially for a newbie.

If you have a roller trailer, which I suspect you do not, the boat will
roll off the trailer into the water, assuming any sort of incline on the
boat ramp. Make sure you keep the boat attacked to the trailer until you
want it to roll off!

Bunk trailer requires you to back down the ramp far enough for the stern
of the boat to float free. Once it does, you usually can push a light
boat off the trailer with an oar or boathook at the bow.

On Nov 4, 10:04*am, Boater wrote:
Alta47 wrote:
[...]

Seeing how you found it just incredible that Justa made a spelling
error, it's ATTACHED, not attacked.

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 10:01:02 -0500, "Alta47"
wrote:

I bought a 13-foot aluminum boat and trailer this summer. I never owned one
before, so I had to figure out how to get it into the water using a boat
launching ramp. As far as I can tell, part of that process includes backing
the trailer into the water and then actually having to wade into the water a
short distance to push the boat off the trailer.

My stupid question is: Now that it's getting cold outside, if I want to
launch the boat in cold weather, do I actually have to wade into icy cold
water on a cold day to do that? I assume there must be another way to do
this.

You can push the boat with an oar. It is small enough to row if the
motor goes on strike, so you really ought to have a pair. If you are
on a starvation budget, get a piece of 1x2 about ten feet long.

Casady

wrote:

I bought a 13-foot aluminum boat and trailer this summer. I never owned one
before, so I had to figure out how to get it into the water using a boat
launching ramp. As far as I can tell, part of that process includes backing
the trailer into the water and then actually having to wade into the water a
short distance to push the boat off the trailer.

My stupid question is: Now that it's getting cold outside, if I want to
launch the boat in cold weather, do I actually have to wade into icy cold
water on a cold day to do that? I assume there must be another way to do
this.

You can push the boat with an oar. It is small enough to row if the
motor goes on strike, so you really ought to have a pair. If you are
on a starvation budget, get a piece of 1x2 about ten feet long.

Casady

When I was younger and in college, one quarter I "coded" accident
reports for the Florida Highway patrol meaning that I read the report
and filled in computer forms about them. The best one I ever read
involved someone at a boat ramp.
When he backed his truck down to the ramp and launched his boat, it
slid off the trailer into the water by itself. He decided to take off
his clothes and swim out to the boat. When he got to the boat, he
turned to see his truck roll backwards into the water. Sitting in the
boat, he realized he didnt have the drain plug. The trooper remarked
that the poor guy had a bad enough day that charging him with indecent
exposure would have been cruel.
Another accident I remember involved someones pet turtle that crawled
under the brake pedal.

"Alta47" wrote in message
I bought a 13-foot aluminum boat and trailer this summer. I never owned
one before, so I had to figure out how to get it into the water using a
boat launching ramp. As far as I can tell, part of that process includes
backing the trailer into the water and then actually having to wade into
the water a short distance to push the boat off the trailer.

My stupid question is: Now that it's getting cold outside, if I want to
launch the boat in cold weather, do I actually have to wade into icy cold
water on a cold day to do that? I assume there must be another way to do
this.

That's what I do... and our water is way colder in the early spring than it
is now. (North Atlantic)
I suppose the girliemen might use fishing type waders.

"Boater" wrote in message

The question isn't stupid, especially for a newbie.

If you have a roller trailer, which I suspect you do not, the boat will
roll off the trailer into the water, assuming any sort of incline on the
boat ramp. Make sure you keep the boat attacked to the trailer until you
want it to roll off!

Bunk trailer requires you to back down the ramp far enough for the stern
of the boat to float free. Once it does, you usually can push a light boat
off the trailer with an oar or boathook at the bow.

Thanks. I didn't know there were roller trailers and bunk trailers. So, I
just did an Internet search about the two and found some good information,
including a forum where people were comparing the pros and cons of each one.

I'll try the idea of using an oar or boathook to push the boat off the
trailer instead of standing in the water and pushing it off. I'll bet that
will work.

"Richard Casady" wrote in message

You can push the boat with an oar. It is small enough to row if the
motor goes on strike, so you really ought to have a pair. If you are
on a starvation budget, get a piece of 1x2 about ten feet long.

Thanks. I am about to buy a pair of oars anyway. The boat came with one
oar/paddle. But it already has oar hooks installed so I just need to buy
the oars.

DK DK is offline

Boater wrote:
Alta47 wrote:
[...]

Tell him about your 300' bowline theory.

"Alta47" wrote in message
I bought a 13-foot aluminum boat and trailer this summer. I never owned
one before, so I had to figure out how to get it into the water using a
boat launching ramp. As far as I can tell, part of that process includes
backing the trailer into the water and then actually having to wade into
the water a short distance to push the boat off the trailer.

My stupid question is: Now that it's getting cold outside, if I want to
launch the boat in cold weather, do I actually have to wade into icy cold
water on a cold day to do that? I assume there must be another way to do
this.

Put a line / rope just a little shorter than the boat attached from the bow
the winch post of the trailer. Back down enough to float the boat a little
and let the boat drift back. Pull forward enough to get the line without
getting wet and pull the boat over to the dock. You want the rope a little
shorter than the boat so if the line falls overboard, it does not get
tangled in the prop.