posted to rec.boats.paddle,rec.boats
Garrison Hilliard

Default Kentucky May Do Away With Boat Launching Fees

Kentucky May Do Away With Boat Launching Fees

Reported by: AP
First posted: 3/15/2006 12:05:28 PM

Boaters in Kentucky may not have to pay launching fees at state docks much
longer.

Lawmakers in the Kentucky House have approved a plan to eliminate the $3
launching fee at many state docks.

One lawmaker called the fees a nuisance to boaters and fisherman.

The bill now heads to the state senate.

From the Kentucky State Parks website:

Launch fees for 2006 are $3 per day or boaters can buy an annual pass for $50.
Kentucky residents receive a $20 discount. A discount of 50% is offered for
additional passes issued to the same licensed boater. Daily fees will be
collected through honor boxes installed at the boat ramps. Boaters will take an
envelope from the box, fill it out with the current date and other information,
enclose the money, and tear off a sticker to be displayed on the dashboard of
the towing vehicle. Annual pass information is listed below.
Boat Ramp Passes can be used at the following lakes: Barren River Lake, Buckhorn
Lake, Dale Hollow Lake, Dewey Lake, Grayson Lake, Green River Lake, Lake
Cumberland, Nolin Lake, Paintsville Lake, Rough River Lake, Taylorsville Lake,
and Yatesville Lake.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/2006/local/03/15/boat.html
posted to rec.boats.paddle,rec.boats
Brian Nystrom

Garrison Hilliard wrote:
Kentucky May Do Away With Boat Launching Fees

Reported by: AP
First posted: 3/15/2006 12:05:28 PM

Boaters in Kentucky may not have to pay launching fees at state docks much
longer.

Lawmakers in the Kentucky House have approved a plan to eliminate the $3
launching fee at many state docks.

One lawmaker called the fees a nuisance to boaters and fisherman.

It sounds like one of those fees that costs more to enforce, collect and
administer than it generates in revenues.

posted to rec.boats.paddle,rec.boats
John Fereira

Brian Nystrom wrote in

Garrison Hilliard wrote:
Kentucky May Do Away With Boat Launching Fees

Reported by: AP
First posted: 3/15/2006 12:05:28 PM

Boaters in Kentucky may not have to pay launching fees at state docks
much longer.

Lawmakers in the Kentucky House have approved a plan to eliminate the
$3 launching fee at many state docks.

One lawmaker called the fees a nuisance to boaters and fisherman.

It sounds like one of those fees that costs more to enforce, collect
and administer than it generates in revenues.

Either that or state taxes will be going up for everyone to provide funds to
maintain a boat ramp for those that want to use it.

posted to rec.boats.paddle,rec.boats
padeen

"Iron Rangers", the honor system for paying fees without a ranger doing the
collecting, are notoriously ineffective, with compliance figures around
20-25% in a successful spot. I was on a state parks advisory board for six
years and regularly dealt with these figures while trying to support state
parks maintenance. I usually voted against user fees for simple parking and
launching, especially because the parks were short of money because the
state legislature was taking the user fees for non-park purposes.
Brad

"Garrison Hilliard" wrote in message
Kentucky May Do Away With Boat Launching Fees

Reported by: AP
First posted: 3/15/2006 12:05:28 PM

Boaters in Kentucky may not have to pay launching fees at state docks much
longer.

Lawmakers in the Kentucky House have approved a plan to eliminate the $3
launching fee at many state docks.

One lawmaker called the fees a nuisance to boaters and fisherman.

The bill now heads to the state senate.

From the Kentucky State Parks website:

[...]

That stands to reason.....

posted to rec.boats.paddle,rec.boats
Oci-One Kanubi

John, will you please stow that kind of talk until they stop taxing
people without kids, to pay for schools? Or reduce the income, sales,
and property taxes of people who don't drive? I mean this cheesy,
chintzy business of "I'll pay for this but I don't use that is just so
lame." Let the legislators fund everything that contributes to the
common good, and let us all pay a share of it. Easy. Over and done
with. No bull**** "special use fees" or any of that other "let's
license [whatever], to generate revenues" crap.

And if they don't charge "special use" fees, then you don't get
situations such as that where Marylanders have to pay to visit
Pennsylvania State Parks, but Pennsylvanians can visit Maryland State
Parks for free. Let the PA gubmint fund what it thinks is important
for the common good; if that doesn't include state parks then, at
least, they won't be screwing out-of-state visitors whose home states
don't screw Pennsylvanians in return. [PS, this was a bogus,
hypothetical example, though it does happen with PA's boat-launch
permits, even though PAians don't have to pay to launch on MD streams]

font face="courier"pre
-Richard, His Kanubic Travesty
Richard Hopley Winston-Salem, NC, USA
Nothing really matters except Boats, Sex, and Rock'n'Roll
rhopley[at]earthlink[dot]net cell: 301.775.0471
OK, OK; computer programming for scientific research also matters
rhopley[at]wfubmc[dot]edu office: 336.713.5077
/pre/font

Garrison Hilliard wrote:
Kentucky May Do Away With Boat Launching Fees

Reported by: AP
First posted: 3/15/2006 12:05:28 PM

Boaters in Kentucky may not have to pay launching fees at state docks
much longer.

Lawmakers in the Kentucky House have approved a plan to eliminate the
$3 launching fee at many state docks.

One lawmaker called the fees a nuisance to boaters and fisherman.

It sounds like one of those fees that costs more to enforce, collect
and administer than it generates in revenues.

Either that or state taxes will be going up for everyone to provide funds to
maintain a boat ramp for those that want to use it.

posted to rec.boats.paddle,rec.boats
Doug Kanter

"Oci-One Kanubi" wrote in message
oups.com...
John, will you please stow that kind of talk until they stop taxing
people without kids, to pay for schools?

Yeah...that'll work. Elderly voters in my school district tried it. They'd
come to town & school board meetings and complain about school taxes, and
how they didn't think it was fair to them to pay for extracurricular
activities. In the same breath, they'd bitch about how "kids just hang
around in gangs, all aimless & stuff, with nothin' to do, and then they get
in trouble. Something's gotta be done!"

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Oci-One Kanubi" wrote in message
oups.com...

John, will you please stow that kind of talk until they stop taxing
people without kids, to pay for schools?

Yeah...that'll work. Elderly voters in my school district tried it. They'd
come to town & school board meetings and complain about school taxes, and
how they didn't think it was fair to them to pay for extracurricular
activities. In the same breath, they'd bitch about how "kids just hang
around in gangs, all aimless & stuff, with nothin' to do, and then they get
in trouble. Something's gotta be done!"

As someone who doesn't have or want kids, I see it from a different
perspective. While I'm willing to contribute to the common good, why
should I have to do so at the same rate as someone who thinks it's cool
to pop out 4 or 5 kids? For that matter, why should anyone get a tax
DEDUCTION for having kids? Those who consume the most in services should
pay the most in taxes. If you don't force people to pay their own way,
they don't learn personal responsibility and they don't think about the
consequences of their (reproductive) actions. The welfare system taught
us that, in spades.

The government gives people with hybrid vehicles a tax break. Why
shouldn't someone who uses a bicycle instead get an even larger one? Not
only do they use zero fossil fuel and create dramatically lower
emissions, but the environmental cost of building, maintaining and
disposing of their vehicle is several orders of magnitude lower. People
who don't own cars at all should get an even bigger break. As much as I
like cars, need a car and actually enjoy driving, it's pretty obvious
that our priorities are majorly screwed up.

"Brian Nystrom" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:
[...]

I'm OK with adjusting school taxes as you described. But, I'd qualify the
change as follows. Anyone who voted that way should have to wear one of
those electric training collars that some hunters use to teach Poopy to
retrieve dead ducks. If you complained about young stupid retail employees
who can't make change, you'd get shocked. Not sure how to monitor the
behavior, but I'm sure something could be figured out.

The government gives people with hybrid vehicles a tax break. Why
shouldn't someone who uses a bicycle instead get an even larger one? Not
only do they use zero fossil fuel and create dramatically lower emissions,
but the environmental cost of building, maintaining and disposing of their
vehicle is several orders of magnitude lower. People who don't own cars at
all should get an even bigger break. As much as I like cars, need a car
and actually enjoy driving, it's pretty obvious that our priorities are
majorly screwed up.

I like the bike idea. But, only if roads are REALLY designed to make it safe
to use bikes. One step in that direction would be mandatory annual driving &
vision re-testing for anyone over 50. A few years back, an old lady here hit
two girls who were standing ON THE SIDEWALK. She said she thought they were
garbage cans. As much as I love biking, there aren't many places I feel
safe.

posted to rec.boats.paddle,rec.boats
Don White

Doug Kanter wrote:

I like the bike idea. But, only if roads are REALLY designed to make it safe
to use bikes. One step in that direction would be mandatory annual driving &
vision re-testing for anyone over 50. A few years back, an old lady here hit
two girls who were standing ON THE SIDEWALK. She said she thought they were
garbage cans. As much as I love biking, there aren't many places I feel
safe.

Same here. About 8 months before I retired, I bought a 'comfort' type
bike from a well respected local bike shop. I had a number of the
components upgraded, such as crank, seat, rear wheel & spokes etc before
picking it up April 2003.
I used it regularly until the end of that October. I may have used it
once since then.
Here on the peninsula, the streets can be narrow and hilly with heavy
traffic at times. (think a smaller version of Boston downtown)