Default Great day of striper trolling on the California Delta!

My buddy, John, had a great day of striper catching last week on
Grantline Canal (near Tracy, Ca), and having never fished that part of
the Delta myself, I asked him to guide me aboard my boat for a day of
striper fishing on Grantline. He agreed.

We launched about 0730 and were trolling by 0800. I pulled a broken
back Rebel all day, various colors, with a white tail. I can't tell
you just what ol' John trolled, but it was similar. I used my kokanee
rig which is the lightest rod I've ever used for Delta stripers, but
light tackle makes for a lot of fun - unless we hooked up with a 15 or
20 pounder. John used his trout rig which is also light tackle for
stripers.The day was calm and bright, a gorgeous day for trolling the
Delta.

My reel screamed first, but it was just a small shaker striper and was
tossed back.

John's reel lit up next, and he eventually landed the first keeper of
the day, a 7 pound striper that put up an excellent fight. It was the
best fight of the day.

My line was hit next, and I had a nice 6½ pounder to the boat after a
pretty decent fight. That would be my one and only keeper for the day.

John's reel screamed out line for the last and best fish of the day, a
ten pounder that hit just as we were trolling past a couple of bank
fishermen. They enjoyed the show as John reeled in his limit fish, and
the bank fishermen held up about a seven pound fish to show that
they'd had a good day, too.

We continued for another hour or so, but the bite was off. We trolled
from 0800 'til 1300 when we reeled in and called it a day.

The sturgeon are coming up the Sacramento River, and I have to heed
their call. But soon enough I'll be back out on Grantline for more
striper trolling!

Photos on my homepage http://www.fishwisher.com

Dale

"FishWisher" wrote in message
[...]

Hit San Pablo Bay shortly. the World Series bite will be cranking up.
Seems as if World Series time is when the stripers came into San Pablo bay
on the return to the delta for the winter.

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 10:52:40 -0700, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

[...]

I thought that only happened when the Cubs were in the series.

--Vic

wrote:

[...]

California Bill simply made a minor typo; he meant to write strippers,
not stripers. And there are likely plenty of both to go around!

Dale

wrote:

[...]

Maybe Strippers then.

wrote:

[...]

Just tryin' to be funny, maybe it didn't gel - as most of mine don't.
I was trying to make joke about all the guys who post to fishing sites
who refer to catching stripers but spell it strippers, and those of us
who know the difference always wonder why we never come across any
strippers when we fish. I never have, but I sure would brag on a such
a catch.

wrote:

[...]

You fish in the wrong places if no strippers. Fishing halibut off San
Francisco Hunters Point one day. Male stripper sunning on his boat as he
fished. Oroville and Shasta sometimes look a little like girls gone wild
video.