FishWisher FishWisher is offline

Default Great day of striper trolling on the California Delta!

My buddy, John, had a great day of striper catching last week on
Grantline Canal (near Tracy, Ca), and having never fished that part of
the Delta myself, I asked him to guide me aboard my boat for a day of
striper fishing on Grantline. He agreed.

We launched about 0730 and were trolling by 0800. I pulled a broken
back Rebel all day, various colors, with a white tail. I can't tell
you just what ol' John trolled, but it was similar. I used my kokanee
rig which is the lightest rod I've ever used for Delta stripers, but
light tackle makes for a lot of fun - unless we hooked up with a 15 or
20 pounder. John used his trout rig which is also light tackle for
stripers.The day was calm and bright, a gorgeous day for trolling the
Delta.

My reel screamed first, but it was just a small shaker striper and was
tossed back.

John's reel lit up next, and he eventually landed the first keeper of
the day, a 7 pound striper that put up an excellent fight. It was the
best fight of the day.

My line was hit next, and I had a nice 6½ pounder to the boat after a
pretty decent fight. That would be my one and only keeper for the day.

John's reel screamed out line for the last and best fish of the day, a
ten pounder that hit just as we were trolling past a couple of bank
fishermen. They enjoyed the show as John reeled in his limit fish, and
the bank fishermen held up about a seven pound fish to show that
they'd had a good day, too.

We continued for another hour or so, but the bite was off. We trolled
from 0800 'til 1300 when we reeled in and called it a day.

The sturgeon are coming up the Sacramento River, and I have to heed
their call. But soon enough I'll be back out on Grantline for more
striper trolling!

Photos on my homepage http://www.fishwisher.com

Dale