Calif Bill Calif Bill is offline

Default Great day of striper trolling on the California Delta!

"FishWisher" wrote in message
My buddy, John, had a great day of striper catching last week on
Grantline Canal (near Tracy, Ca), and having never fished that part of
the Delta myself, I asked him to guide me aboard my boat for a day of
striper fishing on Grantline. He agreed.

We launched about 0730 and were trolling by 0800. I pulled a broken
back Rebel all day, various colors, with a white tail. I can't tell
you just what ol' John trolled, but it was similar. I used my kokanee
rig which is the lightest rod I've ever used for Delta stripers, but
light tackle makes for a lot of fun - unless we hooked up with a 15 or
20 pounder. John used his trout rig which is also light tackle for
stripers.The day was calm and bright, a gorgeous day for trolling the
Delta.

My reel screamed first, but it was just a small shaker striper and was
tossed back.

John's reel lit up next, and he eventually landed the first keeper of
the day, a 7 pound striper that put up an excellent fight. It was the
best fight of the day.

My line was hit next, and I had a nice 6½ pounder to the boat after a
pretty decent fight. That would be my one and only keeper for the day.

John's reel screamed out line for the last and best fish of the day, a
ten pounder that hit just as we were trolling past a couple of bank
fishermen. They enjoyed the show as John reeled in his limit fish, and
the bank fishermen held up about a seven pound fish to show that
they'd had a good day, too.

We continued for another hour or so, but the bite was off. We trolled
from 0800 'til 1300 when we reeled in and called it a day.

The sturgeon are coming up the Sacramento River, and I have to heed
their call. But soon enough I'll be back out on Grantline for more
striper trolling!

Photos on my homepage http://www.fishwisher.com

Dale

Hit San Pablo Bay shortly. the World Series bite will be cranking up.
Seems as if World Series time is when the stripers came into San Pablo bay
on the return to the delta for the winter.